News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Booster for a Small Layout ?

Started by Sunshine Express, August 07, 2010, 11:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

My layout is 10x5 with a 4 track yard,about 6 industry spurs,loco shed sidings
the 2 longer sides are passing tracks.Do I need a power booster for the best performance of locos ,if so what does the forum advise ?
My DCC system is a Roco,unit,and has been in use since 2003,with no failures except human errors. It was a starter set,and the controllers do not have the scope of functions seen on larger sets.
Feeder wires come off from under the board heavy wire ,and some track joints have been saddled. Yesterday,a retired electrician friend told me he just burnt out a $100 booster unit.Put heavy voltage in the wrong way,he hates himself. I have recently gone into a sound loco,and it works fine,but it is not as forgiving as normal DCC loco if any dirt or bad joiners etc.are present. 
Owen C Robinson

Doneldon

Sunny-

Your needs are not determined by the nature of your trackage but by the types and number of locos you plan to operate simultaneously.  Beginner sets will generally operate two modern locos for sure, and maybe a third.  However, there are some generalities which affect this.

On the whole, older locos use more current than newer ones.  Open-frame motors use more than can motors.  Sound locos use significantly more current than silent ones.  Track lighting of passenger cars soaks up current, especially if the lights are incandescent.  Using DCC turnout motors also uses electricity, limiting what's available for your locos.

With these things in mind you should be able to determine if you need a booster or a newer/larger command station.
                                                                                    -- D

Sunshine Express

Thank you Doneldon. That is good advice,my usual operation is one or two locos,and no other DCC accessories. Yes the old open motors suck up the power on both DCC and DC.Don,t think I need a power booster at present.
My motto is think small,have fun,4 wheel truck diesels and 40 ft.cars go great.
Owen C Robinson