News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Nor'Easter Set

Started by Michigan Railfan, July 24, 2010, 08:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

Pipefitter,
I guess I don't have to worry about taking out a decoder, because the engine included in the set is just DCC ready. Another bonus. Not to mention there's still 5 left in stock on modeltrainstuff.com. It's on sale for 180 dollars, which means I'm saving 145 dollars off of list price. I hope I can order it soon.

Ken S.

I removed the lighting pickups from an extra coach I have. I bought IVB coaches to go with the V cafe and then found the V coaches. It seems to be moving ok and no sparks were sent up.

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: Ken S. on July 25, 2010, 02:57:36 PM
I removed the lighting pickups from an extra coach I have. I bought IVB coaches to go with the V cafe and then found the V coaches. It seems to be moving ok and no sparks were sent up.
Cool. Removing the pickups will definitly reduce drag down to almost nothing, right? Upon watching videos on YouTube, I realized the lighting is kinda cheesy looking. It's uneven and you can easily tell where the lights are. Maybe putting the caps like on fluorescent lights in buildings below the lights if they are on the roof so they're covering the lights would make the light more evenly spread out. Just a suggestion.

Michigan Railfan

Well, I just ordered my Nor'Easter from modeltrainstuff.com. You'll notice that both the set and the coach on separate sale went from 5 to 4. I bought an extra coach just so i would have another to make my train longer. The grand total: 210 dollars. Pretty good deal. I'm gonna make some videos once it arrives and put them on YouTube.

Michigan Railfan

Sorry for triple posting but...
My set just arrived today, which is fast since it shipped on Friday. The weird thing is, is that after running the engine in both directions for about 10-15 minutes, it's even louder now than it was when I first ran it. Anyway, I took the plate off the bottom of an Amfleet, and I don't know what to take out, and how to. So, can anyone tell me how to? The only downside I see coming from taking out the lights is that I won't have the rear marker lights when running it in reverse.

Michigan Railfan

I realize I'm quadruple posting but I got 2 videos up on YouTube of the Nor'Easter set.
Here's a video of running it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQBiQQ4vLG8
And a review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtJ0yut5nmk&feature=fvw

So, I have two questions. Can anyone tell me how to take out the light pickups on the trucks? I took the cover off one and I don't know what and how to take it out. The second question is does anyone know if any company makes Acela scheme cab cars. It would be cool to have one but I don't think anyone makes any. I think Bachmann should look into that.

Ken S.

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on August 07, 2010, 03:25:49 PM
I realize I'm quadruple posting but I got 2 videos up on YouTube of the Nor'Easter set.
Here's a video of running it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQBiQQ4vLG8
And a review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtJ0yut5nmk&feature=fvw

So, I have two questions. Can anyone tell me how to take out the light pickups on the trucks? I took the cover off one and I don't know what and how to take it out. The second question is does anyone know if any company makes Acela scheme cab cars. It would be cool to have one but I don't think anyone makes any. I think Bachmann should look into that.

The first one you need a small slot screwdriver and a pair of needlenose pliers. You have to use the screwdriver to pry the metal pickup away from the plastic and use the pliers to yank it out.

As for the second one. The Metroliner Cab cars never wore the Acela Regional paint scheme.

Michigan Railfan

Thanks for tips on the pickups. I'll try it tomorrow.
As for the cab cars, do Amtrak trains never use cab cars then? Or do they just use Metroliner ones? Just curious. Thanks again.

Ken S.

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on August 07, 2010, 11:54:36 PM
Thanks for tips on the pickups. I'll try it tomorrow.
As for the cab cars, do Amtrak trains never use cab cars then? Or do they just use Metroliner ones? Just curious. Thanks again.

There's the Metroliner Cabs, the California Cabs, and the NPCUs.

The Metroliner Cabs run in the Northeast.
The California cabs run in California of course.
The NPCUs run on the Downeaster, Midwest services, and Cascades.