Narrow Guage Action at Busch Gardens

Started by jonathan, July 24, 2010, 02:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Took the kids to Busch Gardens for a couple days.  Of course, Daddy had to check out the train ride.  They ran some kind of 4-4-0s, decorated to look like European trains.  Didn't have a measuring tape, but appeared to be 3' guage track.  Locos ran on propane.

Regards,

Jonathan

RAM

Terry Toenges

When InBev purchased Anheuser-Busch,they changed a lot of things. I wonder if the locos were American before that.
Feel like a Mogul.

J3a-614

These engines are factory modified Crown Metal Products 36" gauge 4-4-0 amusement park engines.  These would be among the "large Crowns" mentioned in an ealier thread on "Pretty and Different Prototypes," linked below:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13280.0.html

As always, enjoy!

jonathan

That makes sense.  I'll bet there was a pretty good market for this stuff when all these parks were being built.

R,

J

Woody Elmore

I like the color scheme.

The road name translates to Prussian State Railways. Why Prussia?

Jon - how many rides did you take?

jonathan

I coaxed the family into riding around the whole park twice.  It was hot that day, so a good break from the sun.  Also gave me a chance to check out the "layout"; signals, ballast, crossings, etc.

Got to check out the site glass while rewatering, with some sort of 2 1/2" firehose contraption.

I suppose I really stood out as a foamer.  My wife just rolls her eyes...

Regards,

Jonathan

P.S.  "Prussia"  The park has a European theme.  The best attraction for parents is the Festhaus:  live oompah music, German sausages, kraut, and many flavors of Busch products.  'nuff said. ;)

Terry Toenges

InBev is a European company. We St. Louis folks were bothered that AB sold out.
Feel like a Mogul.

pipefitter

Busch Gardens, originally called "The Old Country" opened in the mid 70's, long before the InBev buyout. The theme park is divided into sections, each representing a different European country.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Jhanecker2

Before the founding in 1870 of the Geman Empire ( second Reich ) Prussia was one of the larger Kingdoms (Electors) of the Former Holy Roman Empire . Austria , Bavaria , etc were others  ,including Hanover the original House of the  current British Royal Family : Saxe Gotha Coburg ( Windsor ) Battenberg( Mountbatten). Many of the kingdoms had their own railroad lines.  So there were a lot more "old countries" .    John II