Digitrax DCC System and Bachmann standard decoder made by Lenz

Started by Pacific Northern, July 28, 2010, 02:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I have run across a number of references to model railroaders who use Digitrax DCC systems are having problems with the standard Bachmann decoder made by Lenz.

Some of them report having to change the Bachmann decoder(Lenz) to another brand.

Is this a common problem?

Any members of this forum using a Digitrax system with the standard Bachmann decoders? Are you happy with the system? Any locomotives running erratic or jerky?
Pacific Northern

r0bert

most people who swap out the basic lenz decoder, do so to add features, and functions not included in stock decoder.
some people have programming issuses, most which can be adding a resistor to the program track.
Digitrax systems send the cv 29 change along with the address when programming, and  not all decoders like that, but simply sending the cv29 value as a seperate operation takes care of that.

Pacific Northern

Thanks for the reply. Yes most issues seemed to involve programing.

I would still like to hear from any forum members who are using a Digitrax system for their DCC layouts. Are they satisfied with their Digitrax system, would they still use a Digitrax if they were to start over.
Pacific Northern

OldTimer

Just workin' on the railroad.

Jim Banner

On my H0 layout, I started off with an MRC Command 2000, which like E-Z Command, is a simple limited ability, introductory set.  Gave it up when MRC stopped supporting it in favour of a new, incompatible system. 

Graduated to Digitrax when the Zephyr came out.  I liked the full range of capabilities and the compatibility with bygone Digitrax systems, all present Digitrax  hardware, and Digitrax hardware not invented yet.  Upgraded the Zephyr with 4 extra throttles, including 2 radio throttles. With a group of friends, ran up to five trains at a time in "operating sessions."

Ungraded the command station with a Digitrax DCS100 and a PM42 and added another radio throttle.  The 8 Amp DCS allowed more trains to be operated, and they each could be run with multiple locomotives.  The PM42 power manager allowed dividing up the layout into four power sub-districts so that a operator error in one sub-districts did not affect running in the other three sub-districts.

Acquired a Digitrax DB150 command station/booster to allow setting up another operating district during operation and to do some special, automatic operation during train shows.

And the Zephyr?  It is still in use.  In fact it it the busiest of all.  It alternates duty with an E-Z Command as command station for our garden layout or my under-construction 0n30 layout, sometimes serves as an extra throttle on the H0 layout, and is the mainstay in my shop when I need to test and program decoders in all scales.

Would I go with Digitrax if starting over?  ABSOLUTELY.  Am I satisfied?  If I wasn't, I would never have got past the Zephyr stage.

Expensive?  Yes.  It has absorbed a great deal of my hobby funds.  Fortunately,  I don't smoke, rarely drink, and am not embarrassed to be seen driving a vehicle that was old ten years ago.  I don't gamble, I don't chase women (except my wife) but hey, I'm a guy and a guy has to have a least ONE VICE, doesn't he?

Jim   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Pacific Northern

Jim

Thank you for your account of using Digitrax as your command control.

Another question for you, do you use the standard Bachmann DCC decoders in your steamers or do you remove and upgrade them?

A number of postings did relate to erratic behaviour of those engines equipped with the Bachmann DCC decoders when used on a Digitrax system.

Pacific Northern

lescar

I'm using a Digitrax Super Chief with a Bachmman decoder that came with the Digital commander set. The only thing I had to do so far was use a 1K resistor on the programming track.  I haven't noticed any erratic or jerky operation.  Yes I would get Digitrax again, mainly because of the recommendation from the people here and that is whats used in my area.

Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

jward

i am using a digitrax zephyr. it has been a great robust system, and as for its limited capabilities, i can live with having to purge the memory any time it contains 10 addresses.

the advantage that sold me on the zephyr was its ability to use 2 dc power packs as additional throttles. since i converted from dc, i already had these, and the purchase of the zephyr instantly gave me a 3 cab dcc system, for about $150. throw in several decoders, and i was in dcc for under $250.....

unlike some dcc systems, digitrax products are forward compatable. buy an upgraded digitrax system and most if not all of your old components can be reused. the zephyr can be set up as a booster, an autoreverser, or an additional throttle. best yet, it can be used as to program locomotives even when used as a secondary booster or throttle to a more robust unit ( the empire builder) which does not have readback capability during programming.

overall i am very satisfied with my zephyr, and would buy another if i had to start over again (or if this one quits on me).....

the only thing i don't like about my zephyr is that it doesn't like to program the lenz based decoders, such as those used in bachmann or atlas locomotives. i have tried the 1k ohm resistor across the programming track and it didn't work for me.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA