News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command Walk around question

Started by Bluegill1, July 27, 2010, 01:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluegill1

I'm using EZ Command with 4 connector panels around the board, and of course a Walk around companion.
Initially everything was fine. Here is what is happening,  I have an engine running along(on address 6), I unplug the walk around controller(address 6 is lit up), plug it back into another connector panel and it goes right to address 3. Does it every time now. If I'm controlling an engine on address 6, un plug and re-plug , it should remain on address 6 shouldn't it?
What am I doing wrong? (if I am). It's less than a year old (I'm pretty sure). It worked fine when I first operated it. It's on a simple 5 x 9 board with several sidings, and there are about 6 diesels that are on(w/sound) a siding. 4 are Atlas Gold, a BLI, and an MTH.
Any help would be appreciated
Sincerely,
David

Joe323

Are you starting the engine with the walkaround controller or the base station?  Does the engine continue  to operate in its appointed manner while the walkaround unplugged? When you push #6 does it resume control?  Also bear in mind that the address information resides in the DCC decoder not the base or the walkaround.  Other everytime you powered off you have to reprogram.

Anyway I have noticed that when I disconnect the power to my EZ command base that when I start it up again it reverts to address 1 the same might be true if you unplug the walkaround controller. except that its address 3)  Anyway as long as you are able to push address 6 and resume control of the same loco it doesn't sound like a major issue.  Perhaps Mr. Bachmann could chime in on this?

hawaiiho

I haven't used my EZ Command in several months, as I now use the Dynamis.

But, as I remember, if the EZ Command unit lost power for any reason, it always came back on #1.

The Loco number did not change, if it were #8,  it remained #8, but the EZ command would always

power back  up on #1.

Hope this helps.

Bluegill1

I'm at work right now, when I get home I'll fiddle with it some more to answer some of your questions.

Bluegill1

Well, I had a few minutes to play around with it this evening. No sense going into great detail about what I've expiernced without asking a few basic questions first.

1. Using an EZ Walk around, are you supposed to be able to keep the same address active(lets say 6) while you unplug and re-plug the walk around into another connector panel while following your train?

I have the feeling that after watching the Bachmann EZ Command video, the answer is "no", after plugging back into another connector panel, , to aquire control of the engine, the proper address button must be pressed. While watching the video, I paid particular attention in watching the guy in the demonstration, after plugging back in, he did reach down and press a button.
Well, needless to say, I'm a bit disapointed. Several times I've plugged back in(using address 6), throttled up only to find that an engine in the yard took off(because it defaulted to address 3). Guess I'll just have to get use to addressing the engine each time we move from connector to connector.

ABC

Quote from: Bluegill1 on July 28, 2010, 06:38:16 PM
1. Using an EZ Walk around, are you supposed to be able to keep the same address active(lets say 6) while you unplug and re-plug the walk around into another connector panel while following your train?
No, it just goes back to whatever Bachmann set as the default address.