News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coal Loading Dock

Started by jonathan, July 30, 2010, 08:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Recent discussion of scratchbuilding scenery elements got my inspirational juices flowing.

There is a great photograph in the most recent issue of MR.  The photo is of a B&O coal loading dock.  The upper level of trackage is where the hoppers unload coal into bins below the track.  The lower level is where steamers can pull up and fill their tenders. 

I have a couple of places on my layout where an upper and lower level of track run parallel to each other.  I have too much track for my space.  How many of us fall prey to the spaghetti bowl effect? 

This scenery element could create a credible excuse for two levels of track running parallel to each other.  The beauty of it is you only need to build one wall from balsa or basswood, stain it, install it and your done.  Looks like a $5 project with the potential for nice results, especially if one adds a few overhead work lights to complete the scene (I like lights).

The fact that's it a real piece of B&O history really fired me up.

Regards,

Jonathan 

ebtnut

The B&O seemed to be a partial to these trestle coal docks.   They had a very similar one in the yard at Brunswick, MD.  I believe I've seen pics at other locations also.  On a related note, one wonders why Bachmann did another 4-4-0 very similar to the Ma & Pa engines (esp. No. 6).  Why not do something a bit more modern - say a nice Q-4b or P-7?

jonathan

Interesting.

Back in the pre-Spectrum days, I believe Bachmann did produce some sort of B&O 2-8-2.  Don't know which version.  I wonder if they still have the tooling?  I attempted to make a Q-10 out of an old Mantua loco.  I posted about that a while back. Still runs pretty good, mediocre paint though.

I suspect there is a business decision involved.  Since the 4-4-0 modern is already prestaged, it's very inexpensive for them to add a little upgrading and stamp B&O markings on it, which they surely already have.  That makes guys like me want one--folks who are interested in sticking with one particular roadname, if at all possible.

I know lots of manufacturers have done Mikados.  That may also be a factor.  Might not be a good seller, since there are so many out there.

I would welcome an affordable, good running P-7, in any version.  I recently saw a brass Cincinattian(sp), with matching passenger cars, for a small fortune.  Didn't even have lights, For that much loot, who would be brave enough to run the thing?   

One of the reasons I like the Spectrum line;  they look good, run great, and are affordable enough where I'm not afraid to put them on the track.

Oops, got off on a tangent there. :)

Regards,

Jonathan

OldTimer

The B&O 2-8-2 wasn't.  It was a Reading 2-8-0 complete with a Wootten firebox.  Bachmann added a a  trailing truck and a vanderbilt tender.  The tender had a large gold circle with "B&O" inside painted on the side of the coal bunker.  All in all, a rather bizarre aggregation of parts.  I think it dates to the mid-80's.  The Reading piece was available first.
OT
Just workin' on the railroad.

J3a-614

In regard to big trestle-type coal docks, I understand the B&O wasn't alone.  I seem to recall that the New York Central had such an affair at Harmon, N.Y.

This was the changeover point from steam to electric for the approach to NYC, and was an enormous facility, don't know how long it was, but for servicing all those engines, it had to be huge.  Anybody have any data on it?