News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout Progress

Started by jonathan, August 02, 2010, 05:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

The basic elements of my mining facility are now installed.  Just need the little details, people, vehicles barrels, bits of junk, etc.  The 0-8-0 will even turn on the table... tight fit though.

Bad photo, but you can see it lights up, too.  The yard lights are made of pen pieces, glued to dowels that came from those cookies-on-a-stick that people send instead of flowers sometimes.  They're secured to the benchwork with plastic anchors used for screwing into cement.

Just felt like sharing.

Regards,

Jonathan

Bill Baker

Good pictures, Jonathan.  Is that an Atlas turn table you modified?
Bill

jonathan

Yes, it's an Atlas.  Used 3/16" basswood strips to cover the unused stalls.  Stained it with leftover stain from redoing our mailbox.  Powered the motor with a leftover 9v 150ma power source.  I have a 9v 300ma power source on my other turntable, which works better.  I use whatever I can find laying around, before being forced to buy something.

Regards,

Jonathan

Cody J

Very cool mining facility Jonathan.. is it for coal?
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

jonathan

Yes, Coal is King on my railroad. ;D  Or it will be when I'm finished (tounge in cheek).

I've been tossing bits of coal around with the ballast (spillage).  One of these days I need to get some education about weathering so I can make it all look a little more realistic.

The facility is the Walthers Cornerstonce kit that seems to be so popular.  I had to turn it around backwards to get it to fit, so it might not be recognizable at first.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Jhanecker2

Thought I recognized the mine kit, it looks good.  Part of the fun of modeling is making functional models from found and available materials , not everything you may need has ever been commercially manufactured . That is why kitbashing is a hallowed tradition. J2