News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Climax DCC problem

Started by johns, July 31, 2010, 11:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johns

I've started to test run my HO Climax purchased a few yrs ago.  I operate with Digitrax equipment and have installed a Digitrax decoder.  I am aware of the need to clip a lead to the one yellow capacitor, to stop the run-on when the throttle is closed.  I've done this with several other Spectrum steamers and it solved the problem, but not with the Climax.  I'm still having the run on issue.  Is there another capacitor that needs to be cut? 

Jim Banner

Some locomotives have more than one capacitor.  Is there anything else that looks like a capacitor on the circuit board?  It could be just about any colour but yellow and blue are common.  If so, you could cut just one capacitor lead, half way between the board and the body of the capacitor, then try your locomotive again.  If you accidentally cut something that is not a capacitor, all you have to do is solder the two pieces of the cut lead back together again.

Could you please explain a bit more about "the run-on issue?"  Does the locomotive keep running even though you turn the throttle all the way down?  In my experience, keeping on running after turning the throttle all the way down is more often associated with dirty wheels than with capacitors.  It the DCC command cannot get past dirty wheels, the decoder misses it and does not respond.    The commonest problem I have had with capacitors is erratic running, either the speed not staying constant or the locomotive intermittently stopping and starting (but your results may differ.)  Another, somewhat similar problem, can be caused by a phantom throttle stuck in your command station.

Jim   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

johns

Jim:
  Thanks for your suggestions regarding cutting whatever else looks like a capacitor. There seem to be two others on the PC board, blue with a red stripe I believe.  But after sending my first e-mail. I ran the engine for long enough where the problem should have surfaced again but now it ran just fine??   Maybe it was dirty wheels and a little more running cleared that up.

Anyway, I should have used the term "overspeed" when referring to what it was doing.  This is a common symptom with Bachmann steam after installing decoders.  Here is a link to more info about overspeed problems.

http://www.gatewaynmra.org/dcc/engines/bach-280.htm

john

Jim Banner

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.