Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation with Smoke Item No. 0654 GN

Started by Mistlet0e, August 06, 2010, 03:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mistlet0e

Found this great train road number 1257 in green, red and black with a silver nose with a tender Great Northern emblem.  Does anyone know anything about this steam loco with tender?

ABC

I think it is a Bachmann standard line locomotive, which means that there is no tender pick up, and that the motors aren't the best. The newer Spectrum/current 2-8-0's have 5 pole motors and tender pick-up and are DCC. Yours is not even DCC ready. I am almost certain that the GN 2-8-0 was never made in the Plus or Spectrum versions. The newer/Spectrum line versions of the 2-8-0 are 2 or 3 times better than your loco. But it may have been worth it if you only paid like $20 or so.

jbsmith

I would bet it is from the mid 1970s early 1980s at least.
I had and still have that very same loco from when i was a kid at that time.
It has a smoke unit with a BIG reservoir for the smoke fluid. The reservoir has its own filling hole, just behind the smokestack.
****Do NOT put the fluid down the smokestack if you choose to use the smoke option.****
For its time a good puller, still is if it works.
Mine stopped working, eventualy i discovered that it was axle and drivewheel problem.
The axle turned, but not not the wheel it was attached too.
I have not gotten around to fixing it yet, I think it may be a matter of removing the wheel from the axle, cleaning the parts
and then maybe a drop of loctite super glue to get the two to work together again.
I think it is probably way to old to send in to Bachmann for repairs.

The tender is the same exact tender currently issued with most of Bachmanns 0-6-0, 2-6-0, and 2-6-2.
The main difference should be yours would have a hornhook coupler which was the standard of that time.
And a metal wire railing on top of the water tank half of the tender,,but no doubt the same basic tooling.

jbsmith

What Exactly type of 2-8-0 it is?   Baldwin? Lima? Alco?  Some other?  Era?
I have no idea, never really investigated the matter.
I am sure someone here might know.

I do know that it IS obviously a completely different beast from the current Bachmann 2-8-0s'.

Some photos here
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/bachmannhoscalelocomotives/id49.html

RAM

I guess you might say it is a reading.   The Reading RR built most of it's steam locomotives.