News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new high-side gondola

Started by jim margerum, August 10, 2010, 01:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim margerum

Hello Mr. B-MANN and All: I see that we have "new" highside gons w/ coal loads. I don't have my rolling stock at hand, at the moment and have tried to look for the older cars, in dealer inventory. Everyone has the new #'s only, so I can't cross check the road numbers. Are these just the old road #'s w/ loads or are they a totally new car? I would hope that a new car with more detail, would also have a different #.  Another manufacture just rehashed the same old cars/ #'s with loads or weathering and called it another part #.Thanks in advance, Jim

railtwister

Hi Jim,

These same cars & road-numbers are shown in the older catalogs, with the Rio Grande car being mentioned in the 2006 issue, but not pictured until 2007, and the C&S car being mentioned in the 2007 catalog but not pictured until the 2008 issue. Back then, in 2006, the list price was $30.00, then jumped to $35 in 2007, revealing the price increases since then. Therefore, I don't think these are "new" releases or even new road numbers. They are nice cars however (I especially like the C&S version), and the loads and sides can be easily removed, leaving the standard flatcar that they are based upon.

Hope this helps,
Bill

the Bach-man

Dear Jim,
They're not new, just recently back in stock.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Tomcat

Or, if you folks want a easy and straight forward kitbash, you can reduce the height by cutting away one or two lines of planks - there you go with a new On30 gondola version..

Use a sharp hobby knife and scribe the lines between the planks first; then cut the "hardware"... Be careful not to cut your fingers... ;) ;) ;)

Cheers, Tom :) :) :)

lvrr325

If you could sand or scribe some Evergreen strip to give it a woodgrain look, it wouldn't be hard to just scratchbuild new sides/ends for these cars.