News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fleas for a Plymouth?

Started by CNE Runner, August 16, 2010, 09:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

Nice talking with you again kamerad47. I 'broached' the subject of purchasing a new locomotive with the Road Superintendant (she has been superintendant for almost 30 years now) and got the OK...if I sell that aviation GPS on eBay. One hurdle passed...

It was interesting to learn that you have no problems with your Insulfrog turnouts...that would not be true with the Plymouth or Trackmobile. You have given another plus to the 45 Tonner! [I really, really don't want to replace that double slip and crossing anyway.]

Best wishes,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

kamerad47

Ray I have to ask you a ? do you clean your track? Use a product called Brasso from wal mart $2.79 , put some on the rails with a Q tip & wipe it of with a clean rag ! & you will be surprised by how much black stuff comes off !!!!! try it !!!! May be the Plymouth & the Trackmoblie will run better!!!!! I have a 25' crossing & i could get the 45 ton threw it , it stalled !!! I tried everything no go . i was just about to chuk it, when I tried this stuff & it runs threw it at slow speeds no problem!!!!

CNE Runner

Hey Guys...I thought this thread was dead (hmmm, a poet and I didn't know it). Thanks for the advice kamerad47 - I'll have to look for Brasso. Also, I want to thank you for your suggestion about our new engine - and Bachmann for making a superb little critter in the GE 45 Tonner. What a smooth running machine! I run it on DC and it performs extremely well...trust me, you gotta have one of these!

I've been working on the Sweet Haven section (addition?) to the Monks' Island Railway and thought I'd include a couple of pictures. Yes, these are shamelessly 'staged'. The first one shows Monks' Island Ry #3 (Plymouth WDT) holding with an empty hopper (more ballast needed?) for M.I. #4 that wonderful Bachmann GE 45 Tonner (which is respotting an MOW tool car).
In this shot, I attempt to show you the rest of the section. In the background is Island Lumber Co. (or a portion of it). As you can see there are lots of 'projects' yet to be completed. This evening should complete the ballasting and track weathering segment.
The Monk's Island Brewery end (more correctly: Molena Point) and the Sweet Haven section can be run separately and played as one large switching problem...or 2 small ones. There are hours of 'entertainment' on a layout that measures roughly 9' in length.

There is still lots to do...unfortunately we are leaving on another trip. I will post some additional pictures on a new thread when there is something to show.

Regards,
Ray

richg

I have put a DZ125 decoder in the Plymouth but still working to improve the pickups.

I have two single motor 44 tonners with LokSound mini sound decoders. They are great runners.

Rich

CNE Runner

Rich, the decoder project for the Plymouth sounds interesting. Frankly I can't see spending money on a toy locomotive. The Bachmann Plymouth has plastic gearing (with copious amounts of run-out slop), a mediocre motor and poor electrical pick up (ie. transfer via axle-to-frame). The 45 Tonner, however, is a completely different animal (or critter). I paid $39 for the Plymouth and $81 for the 45 Tonner...all in all the GE is the better bargain. Do keep us informed on the Plymouth project as I love the looks of the little bugger...'just wish it ran better.

Ray

jonathan

Uh-Oh!

Is your micro layout turning into a macro layout?

jettrainfan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

CNE Runner

Yikes Jonathan - you may be right! No, actually this is as large as the Monks' Island Railway will ever get. While I enjoy operating the original mini layout (Molena Point & Monks' Island Brewery); it became clear that I needed another location on the island to send cars...hence: Sweet Haven.

I took this view of the entire project this morning (a photographer I am not). The layout will eventually get a proscenium that will hide the lighting and limit the view of that seemingly endless expanse of black.
If you look carefully, you can see that the layout is divided into two sections - utilizing a scenic divider. This type of stage craft allows the director to have two totally different scenes - in close proximity - while keeping the same theme.

The original side of the layout (Molena Point) measures 62" x 11". The new Sweet Haven section measures 60" x 15". This portion of the layout had to be wider to allow for more 'open' switching. The whole layout fits along one wall of the room and still allows some space for cassettes (if the need arises). Both of these plans were shamelessly copied from Carl Arendt's website (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery).

I will post more images when the project gets a little further along (don't hold your breath). Folks, my intent is to show what is possible in a relatively small amount of space...and with a reasonable expenditure of funds. I think jettrainfan said it best; "More switching = More fun!"

Ray

jonathan

Great stuff, Ray.

Looking forward to hearing about your third career in Theater Set Design. ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Quote from: CNE Runner on September 07, 2010, 07:31:47 PM
Rich, the decoder project for the Plymouth sounds interesting. Frankly I can't see spending money on a toy locomotive. The Bachmann Plymouth has plastic gearing (with copious amounts of run-out slop), a mediocre motor and poor electrical pick up (ie. transfer via axle-to-frame). The 45 Tonner, however, is a completely different animal (or critter). I paid $39 for the Plymouth and $81 for the 45 Tonner...all in all the GE is the better bargain. Do keep us informed on the Plymouth project as I love the looks of the little bugger...'just wish it ran better.

Ray

The DZ125 is available for $19.95 so I picked up some. The pickups are the issue and I am going to try some Tomar wipers. I have looked at the diagram of the Plymouth and I see there is a different motor.
Mine has the pancake motor. On the workbench, I used some #30 wires from the decoder directly to the motor and it ran fairly well. I just consider this a challenge.

I use a DZ125 in a Mantua 0-6-0T. The decoder has some good specs.
I am considering the new SoundTraxx non sound decoders that seem to work quite well from some reports I have read.
A DZ125 would work very well in the 45 Ton. The decoder is advertised as Z scale but it handles 1 amp. It has BEMF and two FX3 functions.

Most locos now have plastic gears and use a brass or steel worm. There is a quality issue with some plastic gears though.
I managed to spin some teeth off the plastic worm gear in the John Bull. I had cleaned up the pickups for that tender but hit the power too fast and the motor took off and stripped a few teeth of the worm gear. There is a lot of gear reduction with quite tiny teeth on the gears. The Bull does make a nice display model.

Rich

CNE Runner

Rich - Your decoder project, for the Plymouth, sounds interesting and you seem to know the subject well. Question: What are FX3 functions? Please keep in mind you are dealing with a person who has limited (at best) electronic knowledge and buys his locomotives DCC-equipped.

The power pick up problem will be a 'tough nut' to crack (i.e. cheap). I have looked at my Plymouth and can see no viable way to add the Tomar units. Incidentally, the Tomar pick ups have worked flawlessly on each of my transfer tables (traversers). I am very interested in your research.

The gearing will be a problem. Unfortunately NWSL doesn't offer a gear/motor package for this locomotive...probably because it is of 'toy' quality. You mention a Mantua 0-6-0T? I also have one of these that is a very poor runner and will probably send it to Yardbird Models for re-gearing. This is a newer unit and has a skew-wound can motor so new gearing should be all it needs. Unfortunately there are lots of other demands on my model railroad budget so the 0-6-0T will remain in storage.

Oh, for those of you considering a Bachmann 45 Ton switcher: My unit traverses the two Peco Insulfrog units on the layout with ease. As I mentioned earlier; this is a quality product that is light years ahead of the Plymouth.

Ray

richg

Hi CNE Runner

FX3 is the label Digitrax uses for different lighting functions in their decoders.

Do a search for digitrax fx3.

To make it easier for you, go to the below link.

http://www.digitrax.com/decfunctions.php

Below is a link to another explanation from a Google search.

http://www.loystoys.com/info/fx-lighting.html

Store the links in Favorites for future reference and to give to others with the same qustion.

The 2-6-0 cab forward project I posted some time ago is the 0-6-0T turned backwards and has a can motor with plenty of room in the loco for the DZ125.

Rich

CNE Runner

Thanks for the information Rich...I get smarter every day.

Ray