NEW on30 porters sound equipted......weight

Started by madmike3434, August 17, 2010, 02:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike3434

There is a discussion going on , on www.freerails.com in the on30 section regarding the new porters possible pulling power up a 4-5% grade and how many cars it will easily pull.   miner49er is conducting the tests using his old porters.

The discussion is talking about adding weight too the porters to increase traction.

my question is to anybody that has a NEW sound equipted porter , what is the weight of the new locomotive.  Whats weight of old non sound loco ?

thank you.........madmike3434

ebtnut

I don't think the new Porters are actually available yet.  They only had test shot versions on display at Milwaukee. 

NarrowMinded

Looking at the new porter engineering photos it appears they have a few more cast parts such as the floor on the new 0-4-0 appears to be cast white metal, the former has a plastic floor. I am guessing this is to make up for material removed inside the saddle tank to make room for a decoder, just guessing though... I would be interested to see the test results as my porters have trouble  pulling their own weight on 4% let alone a rake of cars

NM

C.S.R.R. Manager

The PDF that Bachmann posted predicts a November 2010 delivery.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
When they arrive I'll certainly weigh one!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

madmike3434

thank you bach-man, will try to remember to bring the subject up again with a re-post on the subject, close to december time.

mike

Ken

Mike

For what it is worth, looking at Baldwin spec's for a 7 Ton 0-4-2T Engine,
It is rated at 20 Tons on  4% grade, 15 Tons on a 5% grade.

Ken Clark
      GWN

lvrr325

Odds are when they're released one of the magazines will review them and publish all those specifications - just have to be patient I guess.