News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 280 circuit board

Started by Grandpagator, August 17, 2010, 02:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandpagator

???  How do I tell which version of their circuit board that I have?  The loco has a DCC plug in it, but from what I have read, there were problems with the first two versions.  The loco was given to me, without any instructions.  The dummy plug was in the box, but not plugged in, so I don't know which way to plug it in the socket.  I would like to run it on DC and see if it runs ok, before installing a DCC decoder or a Sound Decoder.  Also, are there two pick-up trucks on the tender or just one?  I have a wiper on the front truck, but not any on the rear.  At a loss without instructions.
Any help would be appreciated. 

ABC

Both trucks pick up power on the tender. The dummy plugs should be installed like so:
_
|
_|

Atlantic Central

"How do I tell which version of their circuit board that I have?  The loco has a DCC plug in it, but from what I have read, there were problems with the first two versions."

What kind of problems? Says who? I have 2-8-0's from every production run/variation, they all run great.

"Also, are there two pick-up trucks on the tender or just one?  I have a wiper on the front truck, but not any on the rear."

One tender truck picks up from one rail, the other tender truck picks up from the oposite rail. If only one tender truck has a wiper, one is missing? Was this loco new? Or is it someones used stuff?

The factory instruction sheet is available right from this web site, but it will not "tell" you how to install DCC and sound.

If you have an older version of the 2-8-0, it has 12 volt headlights, newer ones that came with DCC have LED headlights. This difference is the main difference in the old and new ciricuit boards.

If you tender does not have holes in the bottom for a speaker, you most likely have an older one.

The "best" way to install DCC or DCC and sound in these locos is to completely remove the Bachmann board and hard wire the decoder.

Sheldon

Jim Banner

Quote from: Atlantic Central on August 17, 2010, 04:30:11 PM

What kind of problems? Says who? I have 2-8-0's from every production run/variation, they all run great.

I says.  The first run had the DCC adapter socket on the wrong side of the printed circuit board for the way the traces were laid out.  All the versions have the problem with capacitors if you use any decoders except those from Bachmann.  Needless to say, they all run great on dc (which I assume you are still using.)  With some minor changes as outlined at the link below, they also are superb runners on DCC.  For the absolute best performance, decoders with back EMF control are available, both with and without sound.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/2-8-0/index.html

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.