News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wanting to Build set with Daughter

Started by steelheadjph, August 20, 2010, 05:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelheadjph

Ok, I am new to this so here I go.  My family and I want to build a train set and we have an idea in mind.  However we are very limited in funds and need some advice on how to go about this.  My daughter wants to do this with me and to have it done before our Christmas open house in December.  Any help would be great and thanks in advance for the advice.

jettrainfan

From my experience, i'd say start out with a bachmann train set. $50 is a geuss. Now, whatever you do, don't buy a life like or model power set! They tend to not last long sadly. After you get your set, you can start buying more track, cars, diesels\steamers and have a blast! Bachmann sells freight cars for about $8-10 on websites like hobbylinc and model train stuff and you might be able to buy track cheaper at a local hobby shop. Hope this helps! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

OldTimer

I hope you have a hobby shop within a reasonable distance, because that is absolutely the BEST place to start.  Talk with the folks who work there, and get them to recommend a book on basic model railroading.  Atlas has some excellent books with track plans and discussions on building benchwork and doing wiring.  Look at the various scales available.  Each has its advantages, but HO is the most popular scale and consequently is the most reasonably priced and has the largest selection of equipment.

Buy trains that are age-appropriate.  Scale model trains are not toys and won't stand up to being "played with."  If young children are involved, consider "tinplate" trains like the Williams line of trains by Bachmann.

Don't let your daydreams overwhelm your senses.  Start small and learn as you go.  Even a small HO layout can take more than a year to finish.  

The Internet is a wonderful resource for us model railroaders.  The National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) has a great site at www.nmra.org and you should visit the beginners page there.  Most manufacturers have web sites where you can look at products and learn technical details about them.  

I'm 66 years old and still learning something new every day about this wonderful hobby.  I hope that you find the same fun and satisfaction in model railroading that I have.  Welcome to "the world's greatest hobby."
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

jbsmith

What size area do you have in mind?
On the floor? Folding table? 4x8 on saw horses? larger? smaller?
Permanent or a temporary holiday set up?
Steam? Diesel?

I'll second Jettrains recomendation of starting out with a Bachmann set.
All sets come with EZ track, some come with just a simple circle of track and some
come with a small oval.
At least one comes with a switch for a short siding, the Golden Spike set, Item #00615.
This set comes with a number of items to get a small basic layout going including a couple of snap together buildings and some other details.
This list is $180 but it can be found for as low as $90 at good reputable online hobbyshops.
Great starting out set.
Rail King would be another good starter set, Item#00657
You mentioned "Christmas Open House" =The Yuletide Special has a holiday theme, Item #00664

Sets online
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann_HO_Scale_Train_Sets_s/340.htm

http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/CTGY/Bachmann

mabloodhound

Take a look at the Bachmann On30 scale sets.   These are "O" scale that run on HO track.
The nice thing is that these larger locomotives and cars fit the size of those Christmas buildings you see everywhere but they will run in the space of an HO set.
This is how I got re-started in the hobby and I really like the larger size.
This is a good example (and great price) http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-On30-JINGLE-BELL-EXPRESS-TRAIN-SET-CHRISTMAS-/270621378236?pt=Model_RR_Trains
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Doneldon

steelie-

Mabloodhound's reference to the train set on ebay is an excellent one.  These are pretty well made, especially for the price.  And you won't be limited to the Christmas theme as there is a whole panoply of On30 equipment available from Bachmann and others.

If something like this fits your plans, move on it now.  Christmas merchandise will start going up in price before too long, and certainly before Halloween.

Good luck!
                                                                                      -- D

trainmaster971

Hobby Lobby carries quite a few Bachmann train sets at reasonable prices.  In addition they run a 40% off coupon about every three weeks that can be applied to the price.

They also carry single cars, track sections and scenery materials which are located in the rear of the store by the plastic models.

Joe323

But I thought I read here (or somewhere else ) that Hobby Lobby was getting out of the model train business? 

trainmaster971

I was at the one here last week and they have a lot in stock.  I have not heard that the are going to stop selling model trains.  They had a Bachmann 2-8-2 in the display case the was not there last month.

ABC

Joe you did in fact read here that they are no longer selling model railroad related items. However, some have decided to stock a few trains sets, they are all the cheaper ones mostly. They are the Santa Fe Flyer, Chattanoga Steam Train Set, Pacific Flyer Steam Train Set, and Rail King Train Set. They will also may have two N scale sets: the Thunder Valley Train Set & the Yard Boss Train Set beyond that nothing else will be stocked.

Trainmaster, there are two possible explanations as to why they still have whatever they have beyond those few train sets. Some stores decided not to put the items on clearance for various reasons, but would not restock them when they were sold. Some stores did get leftover inventory from the warehouse and are clearing out whatever was leftover. Also, someone could have purchased the loco and then decided to return it at a different location or purchased it within the return period. However, Hobby Lobby never sold the 2-8-2 Mikado and does not currently have any plans to stock it. Hobby Lobby has stocked the following steam locomotives previously: 2-6-2 Prairie, 2-6-0 Mogul, 0-6-0 USRA switcher, and a 2-8-4 Berkshire (DCC).

According to all the managers and store owners I talked to, each store could do what it thought was best with the remaining model railroad stock whether that be clearance it or sell it at full price. Additionally they had some things left over in the warehouses, so the store could opt to sell these items at full price, or send their remaining inventory back to the warehouse to be shipped to other locations that could sell the items for full price. The bottom line is once the remaining inventory is exhausted, no more items besides the six train sets mentioned previously will be sold.

Doneldon

I was in the Hobby Lobby in Hutchinson KS two weeks ago and they had almost no train merchandise left.  I did pick up a couple of odd items but I doubt if there was even $50  in merchandise left after my small purchase.  It's my understanding, confirmed by the Hutch manager, that trains won't be restocked except selected stores may sell some train sets and others may stock some sets around Christmas. 

-- D

ABC

Hobby Lobby Update
After talking again with some managers, I have learned that some will continue to sell model railroad supplies if they determine that there is  no local competition and a demand for the items. All other stores will be limited to a few train sets either year round or around Christmas time, or no items whatsoever. At the Hobby Lobby in Fairlawn (Akron area), Ohio they still have a pretty good amount of items in stock.