News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Hawthorne Village Train

Started by Hornblower, August 22, 2010, 03:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hornblower

Has anyone painted a Hawthorne train and been satisfied with he results?

lvrr325

That one of those commemorative sets with the glossy bright color paint jobs?

I would suggest carefully dissassembling the cab and stripping it and the tender shell.  One problem you'll have otherwise is the lettering and stripes will ghost back through.  And you want to spray paint it if possible, with a flat black enamel or other paint - you want one with a little bite to it; I've had good results with K-mart's cheap brand. 

Hornblower

Thanks for your input.

2 quick questions:

Did you use a chemical stripper?

Did you find instructions on taking the engine apart or is it just trial and error sort of stuff?

Thanks so much!

lvrr325

I used to use the Scalecoat stripper for that stuff, but it's not cheap.  Brake fluid will do it but can sometimes make the plastic brittle.  On the other hand, you could just give the sides of the tender or cab a coat of it and put it in a sealed tub, come back, scrub with toothbrush, and if it doesn't all come off, give it another shot. 

I'm sure Bachmann will send you a factory sheet with the exploded view diagram of this engine if you ask them.  Seems like the cab is glued on and takes a lot of patience to remove. 

NarrowMinded

These loco's basically snap together, after you remove the tubes and hand rails you can work the cab back and forthe why pulling it up, the boiler is only tricky the first time, I use a exacto chisel blade placed between where the boiler hangs down in front of the pistons, I push it between and then twist up, the tab on the rear is a lot simpler to disengage.

Nm

mabloodhound

There is an exploded diagram of the 2-6-0  on the left bar here.
Click on Product Reference, then Diagrams, then half way down that page is the On30.
Might help in the reassembly too.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

C.S.R.R. Manager

There is a lot of Mogul info on the Pacific Coast Air Line website.  The DCC installation articles should help you take the Mogul apart.

Brilliant work, Harold.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/mogul_page/

manager