Greenberg Toy & Train Show in Edison NJ

Started by Joe323, August 13, 2010, 11:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

Is anyone besides myself and my Fiance' going to be their tomorrow?
97 Sunnyfield Ave Edison, N J

steemtrayn

I hope so, it would be a shame if only two people showed up.

Joe323

Well here's my review of the show:

We arrived early so we could get a parking spot right outside the door and then waited 45 minutes or so to get in. 

Frankly I was a bit disappointed this time in the selection of HO stuff they had  Perhaps from talking to the vendors some said that because of the recession things were not moving, others said that August in a slow month.

I did pick up a few pre-assembled HO structures One was a 3 story brownstone type building which had a sign on top that said "Rooms" which I promply removed as I am converting it into an apartment building, another was a giant single family house that needs some detailing to look realistic.  The final was a model of an old fashioned Howard Johnson's Restaurant that brought memories from when I was a kid.

Also bought a couple of gondolas, a box car a steam loco for Karen (My Fiance) some landscaping stuff (Lichen) and a few cars.

All in All I was disappointed in the shopping I was hoping to get some weathering powders and paints but I guess I'll have to order that on-line.

There were a few layouts but because my back was hurting I did not get to do much of a tour.

I may pass in November on this show and wait for the WGH show February next year.

Joe

jonathan

I hit the Greenburg show twice a year, when it comes to the DC area.  I find the August show usually has slim pickings.  The show arrives on the 28th of this month. 

The second show usually hits in the January-February time frame.  Probably because the show is right after Christmas (aka holiday season), there always seems to be more good things to choose from.  Also, all the Fall releases have had a chance to work through the system down to the show vendors. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Joe323

Part of problem too was the quality of selection in HO If want cheap cars with talgo trucks and horn hook couplers these were a dime a dozen, so to speak.  On the other hand I though the selection in Lionel & N was pretty good though the prices were high IMHO.  I have learned to be a bit picky.

However, I do not think that buying cars with body mounted knuckle couplers and if possible metal wheels is asking too much. 

jerryl

We used to have a Big Greenberg show in South Jersey until the building was sold. Journeyed to Edison only one time & found that the prices were much higher because of the proximity to NY City.

jonathan

Spent the morning at the Greenberg Show in Chantilly, VA.  My experience was quite positive.  

It was B&O Heaven!  There were kits, ready to run, brass... I must have looked like a bobble-head.  My son just rolls his eyes ::).  There was even a Rivarossi 2-8-8-0 for $85 that was missing a couple hand rails on the pilot.  Quite fixable.  However, I was after different prey.  I had to stop myself once I got what I came for... a pair of Spectrum 4-8-2 Heavy Mountains, still factory sealed in their plastic, unlettered.  I would have been happy with one, but they were so inexpensive, I had to get two.   Believe I paid the same price for the 0-6-0T.  Talk about a bargain.

Found a nice article, with instructions, on how to  make the Spectrum Mountain a B&O 4-8-2.  Cannot wait to get started. Will have to get with Dan at Yardbird to get some detail parts.  Will post my progress as I get into the project.

Excelsior!

Jonathan

Okay, I think the adrenalin has worked its way through my system.  ohmmmmm

Regards

barrowsr

I recommend the January GSMTS in Timonium MD.  http://www.gsmts.com/ It's the largest of their quarterly shows and worth an overnight visit if you like to shop.  I personally recommend the white elephant table!!

Robin

jonathan

Making my first pilgrimage to Timonium in October.

Looking forward to it.

J