News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc decoders

Started by clark, August 20, 2010, 10:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clark

how do you determine which decoder to use in older locomotives?

ABC

1. Purchase Multimeter
2. Use multimeter to determine how many amps it draws
3. Measure space available for installation
4. Select a decoder that will fit and that will not let out the magic smoke (see how many amps it is rated for).

poliss

Carry out a Stall Current test as shown on Brian Lamberts website. http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.htm#STALL%20CURRENT%20TEST
You need the dial switch on your multimeter pointing to 10A and the leads , one in the common and the other in the 10A socket as most motors stall at half an amp on n gauge and 1 Amp on H0.

keithwarltier

To have your DCC engines run on DC, ask for DC tolerant chips.
To easily exchange chips and if you have the space, use harnesses and chips with pins.
To use power routing points, ask for chips that will not go to sleep on a dead siding.  Having had this happen with a pin type chip, substituting a Lenz Mini Gold was simple and the problem went away.
Perhaps buying chips is much of a get what you pay for situation.
For those of us who have seen the magic smoke, we can at least enjoy ABC's articulation of the phenomenon.

jake_iv

Quote from: clark on August 20, 2010, 10:55:56 AM

Most Z scale decoders work in N scale.  Digitrax, TSC, Litchfield Station, WWW.trainweb.org has links for hundreds of N scale installations, often to more than one option for a loco.  The new smaller Bachmann decoder is an excellent coice if your loco has room for it.  Drop-in decoders are available for a lot of locos from several makers.  I like the Bachmann, the  Lenz Gold Mini, the TSC M1 and the Digitrax DZ143 decoders.  A decoder rated at 3/4 to 1 amp shold handle any N scale loco that you might want to run. TSC has a "no fault" warranty - if you smoke it, they will fix or replace it.  Join the ndcc group on yahoo for a lot of info and links ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ndcc/ )

klunker

jake_iv

You mention the new Bachmann small size decoder will work in an N scale loco. Are you referring to decoder BAC 44925?

I have 2 H16-44's in N scale and want to put decoders in them. I removed the shells and checked and there is room. My entire system is Bachmann and I'd prefer to use the Bachmann decoders.

Thanks,

klunker

trainhead1957

Quote from: clark on August 20, 2010, 10:55:56 AM
I have a Bachmann Light Mountain, and I would like to installe a sound decoder in it. What decoder(s) is/are recommended, and where can I find installation instructions? Is there one that will just install into the tender?