News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

minimum curvature for N scale flextrack

Started by Frankv, September 16, 2010, 08:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankv

Hi, I want to make an N scale oval with approx 19 " radius curves, to run a 2-6-6-2 loco. I'm using EZ Track for the straights, but I can't find 19" radius EZ Track. I know they make it, I just can't find any. My question is: can N scale flex track make a 19" radius? What is the minimum radius for flex track? Thanks for the help.

daniel_leavitt2000

Most flex track will curve right down to 9 inches. I would reccomend using 19" as a bare minimum for such a large engine.

skipgear

Frank,
The 2-6-6-2 will run fine on the 11 1/4" radius track. It will look better on 19" obviously but it will have no problems with standard 11 1/4" EZ track. I have tested mine down to 9 3/4" radius. Bachmann has some new radius track coming also, one the next radius outside of 11 1/4" and one the next radius smaller than 19" so that you can do double track layouts now.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

dtpowell

If your looking for the 19" radius check MB Klein http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/category_s/1001.htm they currently have 19" and the new 17.5" radius available. N scale Supply is another good source on the internet. I've used both with good results.

NickL

Does anyone know if the 4-8-2 mountain steam engine can handle 9 3/4 " curves - I know 19" is recommended for best operation.