News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

PA's derailing

Started by Richard1, September 16, 2010, 12:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard1

I am having trouble with my Bachmann PA's derailing, in spite of the fact that I have 32 radius curves. I have a feeling that something is wrong with the truck wheels as I don't have a problem with other six-axle engines, including running E-8's back to back.  I think the PA wheel flanges are wider than the E-8's.  How do I correct this? I don't want to rebuild the entire railroad just because I'm having trouble with two locomotives. Should I file down the crossover frogs somehow?

ABC

As far as I know, Bachmann did not make any PAs, are you sure they aren't Proto 2000.

jward

have you checked the wheelsets with an nmra guage? that would tell you for sure it they are the problem.

that said, the athearn pa's are notoriously picky on track. they will find the flaws in it better than any other diesel. if their wheels are properly guaged, they will find things like high and low rail joints, joints that are slightly misaligned, and places where the track is out of guage. once you have eliminated wheel guage as a problem, you can use them to perfect your trackwork.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

the Bach-man

Dear Richard,
In fact, we have never made PAs. Checking the gauge is an excellent place to start.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Santa Fe buff

I have a couple PA's from an old Athearn run. You sure they aren't Athearn? If they are, I can help you with that.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer