News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

converting to dcc

Started by redoguy, September 22, 2010, 08:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redoguy

now i have three old style bachmann sd 45 now can i put the new dcc PC board  in my SD45
now  i have  as  Burlington northern  loco  # on  5491 it look like  a uboat with four axle.. it brand new it not dcc  i want  to converted to dcc  so can do all and what dcc unit do i use for  and number of them 

ABC

If you have a U boat, I wouldn't bother converting it to DCC, the U boats have been out of production for some time , I had one for about 15 years and it never ran too good, I finally had to send it in for a replacement last year. If your SD-45s have a 8 pin socket all you need is any HO scale decoder with an 8 pin plug.

redoguy

sorry it  a bachmann  b-23-7
where do i find the  decoder  for it  just bought this week at hobby shop ..

jward

the bachmann sd45s are of the split frame design, as are many spectrum diesels including the gp30, gp35 and h16-44. there is a step by step illustration of installing  a decoder in an h16-44 here:

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

this procedure will work for any split frame design locomotive, i have used this tutorial to convert 3 h16's, a gp35 and an sd45 so far.....you can hard wire digitrax dh123 or dh163 decoders  as they are similar to the one shown in the tutorial.

the b23-7 will be a bit harder to convert. i have one of these, but am still working out the specifics of a decoder for it. it is not a split frame, the bachmann gp40 and "gp50" are of similar design.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA