What is going on with Spectrum HO steam engines with sound?

Started by florynow, October 08, 2011, 01:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florynow

The 2-8-0?  Both versions of the 4-6-0?  They can't be had any more, and all those engines are short-line and branch line staples, very much needed in the model railroad world.  The 2-10-0 is still around, but I think only because no one is buying them because they run so poorly out of the box (you CAN remotor them and reset CVs to make them run as good as anything else .... but ..... shouldn't they come that way to begin with?).

I've heard rumors that Bachmann is re-engineering all of them.

Someone please break radio silence about this.  There are not many hard-core steam-only guys like me left, and even fewer that run only small steam.  If Bachmann gets out of the small steam engine business... we are sunk.

Oh..... the new 2-6-0 is much too heavy of an engine for what I am doing.  I'll probably get one anyway.

PF

jonathan

PF,

There is not silence on the Consolidation subject.  If you do a search of this forum, both locos have been discussed every angle possible.

In a nutshell, the market is flooded with 2-8-0s (don't know about the 4-6-0).  Bachmann went from Spectrum to standard on the 2-8-0 because the engineering is getting dated.  The Standard version is still a wonderful loco.  I have a few, a wouldn't mind a few more.

Adding sound is not difficult on the Connies.  Though, I can see the benefit of finding a pre-loaded loco.  I have once of the sound connies.  They still fetch a high price on ebay.  This loco gets warm before any other loco I have, but still runs well.

Anyway, look around.  These babies can still be had.

Regards,

Jonathan

BillD53A

That's the way things are in this hobby nowadays.  Models are made in China in batches and shipped.  When the batch sells out, they are gone till the next batch is run.  (Remember when we all hated Athearn for doing this?)  I have 50 of the 2-8-0s and love them.. I just wish they released the 4-4-0s and ten-wheelers first.

richg

Not a big deal. Take a little time searching the Internet and you can find the locos.
Like was said, stuff probably on the next slow boat from China.
For those concerned with prices, the Chinese do not want to work for nothing. Chinese are learning that they want better wages and can get them.

Rich

Pacific Northern

Having been model railroading for a number of years now I am quite aware of the manufactures and their "batch" production runs. When I run across a locomotive I am interested in I usually buy a few of them at a time.

That way I do not have to wait an unkown period of time until the next production batch is run. When the Spectrum 4-6-0's were released I bought a half dozen of them right away and also picked up a few from various sources if they were being offered at a good discounted price.

Having said this, has anyone else been contacated by Micro-Mart on their tremendous sale on the soon to be released Bachmann 2-6-0's? Where else can you buy a sound locomotive for $99.00? Now that is a really good deal.
Pacific Northern

Doneldon

jonathan-

Quote from: jonathan on October 09, 2011, 07:19:38 AM
In a nutshell, the market is flooded with 2-8-0s

Kind of like the 12 inches to the foot railroads.

-- D

dex

OKAY... anyone heard the release date for the new 2-6-0's??????????

Doneldon

flory-

I sold a couple of Spectrum sound-on-board Connies within the past three weeks,
still factory sealed. Keep an eye on ebay. I don't have any more surplus locos but
there are those who do.
                                     -- D