Multiple Problems with My Amtrak Models (HHP, Amfleet, Horizon, Bi-Level)

Started by Ken S., September 21, 2010, 06:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S.

I am now having problems with the HHP-8 staying coupled to the delighted Amfleets. I have also sent in a complaint to Walthers about a height problem with my Horizon Fleet cars in that they won't stay coupled to anything even using lowered head couplers. I had to run them recently using a diesel on both ends of the train since they were mixed in with Amfleet and Heritage cars.

EDIT: Changing the thread title to reflect the new use of this thread.

mlrr

What kind of vertical undulations do you have in your track work?  Also; have you considered using miniature washers to limit the vertical play of the couplers in their pockets?

Horizons
I have to admit, ever since Amtrak stopped service of the Three Rivers, I haven't had Horizions running on any of my trains for six years.  I do remember having similar issues but they were resolved when I used couplers with lower heads.

I also noticed that one of my Horizons actually rides MUCH higher than the rest.  I don't know why but it plays a roll in the coupler height as well.

I don't know where to begin in tracking this flaw down let alone the issue of "version control".

Amfleets

With regard to the Amfleets, the problem is more easily addressed.  If you have the older style amfleets (pre-working diaphragms), you may want to consider couplers with lowered heads.  I haven't had to resort to this (despite the many vertical undulations in my track).  You may not want to get couoplers with raised heads for the newer style amfleets as you run the risk of interference with the coupler head and diaphragm.  that will lead to more headaches when running your trains.
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

Ken S.

The Amfleets for the most part are the Bachmann ones. I removed the light pickups so the cars roll a bit more freely and so a couple of Walthers cars don't stick out in the consist that bad.

The Horizons were equipped with lowered head couplers when this issue first presented itself. But, I think they still sit too high to stay coupled to a Walthers Amfleet even with the lowered head couplers. The only car I really have that I can run with them right now is more or less 10031.

OldTimer

Coupler height is not negotiable.  Get yourself a Kadee height gauge and adjust ALL your couplers to the height of that gauge and make sure the uncoupling pin clears the shelf on the bottom of the gauge.  Once you've done that, your uncoupling issues ought to go away.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Doneldon

OT-

Well, almost.  It can also be helpful to burnish the knuckle faces and insides so things don't hang up, to squirt a little graphite into the pockets, and to make sure the centering springs work.  Some folks also put a little dry lube on the knuckle faces but I've never felt that made much difference.

-- D

Ken S.

My Amtrak cars like to give me problems. My Bi-Level cab car keeps derailing on 22" curves when coupled K46 to K46 with another Bi-Level.

Ken S.

Ok, I've decided that I am going to part with the Bi-Levels. They don't fit in with my operations at the moment.

Ken S.

My "Phase V" Amfleet I Cafe (Bachmann) will not stay coupled to the Walthers Great Dome at all.

ABC

I think your main problem is the 22" radius, try 24" radius and see if that solves the problem.

Ken S.

ABC

I see, I had this happen to me with some IHC passenger cars, and could not resolve the issue no matter what I did unless I ran them on perfectly level track with no elevation changes.

Ken S.

Great Dome will need lowered head couplers. I just checked it on a level surface and the Dome's couplers sit halfway up the Amfleet's coupler. Unfortunately, I do not have access to an LHS to get the proper couplers for the dome and I am not paying $9 Shipping for a $3 pack of Kadees to fix the height issue on the dome and at least one fo the Horizons.