News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound on dcc

Started by w2dwr, October 11, 2010, 03:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w2dwr

I am currently setting up a new layout and have bought all Bachmann engines with DCC.  Unfortunately, that DCC is for control of motion and lighting but not sound.  I am looking for a sound add on so I don't have to loose my investment in the DCC.  If these are not available, then can someone suggest a unit that connects to the 8 pin plug in the engine and provides full control including sound?  I will even consider a change out of the DCC if nothing else is available.  Thanks for your help.

ABC

For starters, it would be helpful to know which locomotives you have, so we can better assist you. Speaking in generalities, the Bachmann Spectrum DCC steam locos can be converted to sound and DCC pretty, while the Bachmann Spectrum diesel and electric locomotives likely won't have enough room for the motion & lighting efffect decoder, sound decoder and a speaker. Any non spectrum line diesel locos will not have adequate space for the sound without doing a lot of work such as milling and moving things around.

w2dwr

Thanks for the reply.  The engines I have are:
Spectrum 4-4-0 Steam
GE 45ton switcher
GE 70 ton switcher
2-8-0 Consolidated steam
Gas/Elect Doodlebug
GP 40 Diesel
FT-A Diesel
Saddleback 0-6-0 Switcher

Hope this provides the info you need.  I would be more inclined to add sound to the steamers but would love to have it on the doodlebug and the switchers also if possible.  What would be the source of these sound units?
Thanks again,
Joe

ABC

One would be hard-pressed to find enough room in the GP-40 and FT-A especially.
Here is a sound only (steam) decoder for $35 from MRC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MRC-HO-O-G-DCC-Sound-Only-Decoder-Steam-1665-/150462070371?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item23083cfe63
Here is an MRC sound only decoder for diesels for $39:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MRC-DCC-16-Bit-Sound-Only-Decoder-MP15-SD45-1862-NEW-/380238601861?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item5887fc9e85

The doodlebug is unique and it would likely require a more expensive decoder, a Galloping Goose Decoder may be suitable for it.

The 2-8-0 & 4-4-0 will be pretty easy/straightforward.

richg

Possibilities, but pricey. About $130 for the LokSound and about $95 for the standard Tsunami and $112 for the micro.

Spectrum 4-4-0 Steam
SoundTraxx Micro Tsunami light steam and 28mm speaker. I have done this one.

GE 45ton switcher
SoundTraxx Micro and a small speaker in the oil tank or under cab roof.
A LokSound Micro with the 44 ton sound would work as it has the two prime mover sound at start up.
I have this decoder in two 44 tonners.

GE 70 ton switcher
I use the LokSound Micro with Baldwin sound and 16mm x 35mm speaker. $130.
The Tsunami Micro work work if they have the Baldwin sound.

2-8-0 Consolidated steam
A standard Tsunami medium steam with speaker in the tender. Have not done this one but I think a 28mm speaker will work.

Gas/Elect Doodlebug
Have not done this one but I have seen this one with LokSound and SoundTraxx. There is an appropriate decoder if you check the SoundTraxx and LokSound sites.

GP 40 Diesel ?

FT-A Diesel ?

Saddleback 0-6-0 Switcher
A SoundTraxx Micro Tsunami light steam will work with I think a 3/4 inch speaker but requires a little milling of the metal frame. I have a PDF document about this sound install.

Some of these are not for newbies.

I buy all my stuff from Litchfield who are very good at advising you and no shipping charge over $75.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/DCC-University/index.htm

There are cheaper sound decoders but are usually generic sounds and might be computer generated which many are happy with as they are not rivet counters.

Rich