News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

TSU-750 decoder in the n-scale EM1

Started by Gregg464, March 16, 2014, 01:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg464

Hi all,
I'm new to the board. The questions I have.
Has anyone installed a Soundtraxx TSU-750 decoder in the new EM1 steamer.
Do I cut off the old decoder or leave it in place? Also, do I need the capacitor?

Thanks,

Gregg

skipgear

Remove the existing decoder.

Yes, always use the capacitor if you have room for it.

I haven't used a Tsunami but I have done a Digitrax with good success. Tsunami doesn't have any decoders with a correct whistle sound for an EM-1.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

gatrhumpy

I have a TSU-750 in my EM-1. I love it.

Desolder the old decoder. Don't cut off the leads as you will eventually have to solder the new decoder leads to the PCB in the tender anyways. Label the wires each time you desolder a wire from the old decoder so you can reuse that decoder.

Gregg464

Thanks for the help.
I have one other question. Do I need a programming track booster to set the CV'S with this decoder?
I do not use decoder pro.

richg

Quote from: Gregg464 on March 20, 2014, 12:29:11 PM
Thanks for the help.
I have one other question. Do I need a programming track booster to set the CV'S with this decoder?

My NCE Power Cab does not need a booster but your mileage might vary. I have seen a couple questions here from people who had programming issues with the Tsunami. The Bach-Man suggested connecting a 1k resistor across the tracks. Don't remember which system they used.

Rich

Hunt

Quote from: Gregg464 on March 20, 2014, 12:29:11 PM
Thanks for the help.
. .  . Do I need a programming track booster to set the CV'S with this decoder?
Depends on the DCC system being used whither or not a programming track booster is necessary.

A programming track booster is  required with some but not all DCC systems. It is not required when using  the NCE Power Cab DCC system.   You likely will ruin the power track booster and maybe the NCE Power Cab if you combine them without a NCE AutoSwitch module between them.

A 1000 Ohm, ΒΌ Watt resistor across the programming track is required for CV read and programming for a non-sound Bachmann(Lenz based) decoder using a Digitrax Zephyr(DCS50) or Zephyr Xtra(DCS51).

Gregg464

Thanks again for all the info.
By the way, My system is a NCE Power Cab.
I'm feeling better already.