News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-0 RUSSIAN DECAPOD BULB CHANGE

Started by kb2cxj, October 08, 2010, 03:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb2cxj

HELP!!!! SOS!!! LOL CAN SOME ONE SHOW ME THE WAY ?? I NEED TO CHANGE MY LITE BULB IN MY  2-10-0 RUSSIAN DECAPOD STEAM LOCO = ITEM # 81703 ?? THIS IS A TOUGH ONE, I GOT AS FAR AS THE BOILER OFF THE WHEEL ASSEMBLY. IT SEEMS TO BE GLUED TOGETHER? I DON'T WANT TO FORCE IT. THE AIR COMPRESSOR IS HELD IN PLACE BY THE CAT WALK. THAT SEEMS TO BE GLUED ON. ??? ALSO PART # 00C01 SEEMS TO BE HOLDING THE SHEL IN PLACE. THAT ALSO LOOKS TO BE GLUED ON. ?? I TRIED POPPING OF THE SMOKE BOX COVER, IN THE HOPE I COULD MAYBE PULL THE BULB OUT FAR ENOUGH TO SOLDER A NEW ONE ON,,,,NG.... THE BULB DON'T BUDGE. THE BULB LOOKS GOOD ANYWAY. I AM THINKING MAYBE THE WIRE GOT PINCHED IN THE FRAME???. I DON'T WANT TO BRAKE ANY THING. COULD YOU GUYS TELL ME HOW TO CHANGE MY BULB? AT THIS POINT, I AM SURE GOING TO REPLACE IT WITH A LED. DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO TAKE IT APART AGAIN... LOL . I LIKE A GOOD CHALLENGE. I SURE GOT ONE HERE. BY THE WAY, I'M NOT YELLING, THE CAP LOCK WAS ON AND I JUST KEPT TYPING. MY PHONE = 845-514-9507. MY EMAIL = ALYCASELLI@HOTMAIL.COM.. THANKS BACHMANN. YOU MAKE THE BEST HO TRAINS ON EARTH. I HAVE OVER 100 STEAM ENGINES. ALL MAKES AND MODELS. NOTHING RUNS AS GOOD AS YOUR SPECTRUM LINE. 10 THUMBS UP,,,, GREAT STUFF.

jonathan

kb2cxj,

Shell removal:

I'm assuming you've already removed the drawbar screw.

Take a look at the pilot.  How are the steps connected?  On the 2-8-0, you must slide the steps out of the holes in the boiler to release the shell.

Now take a look at the metal wire stands that represent the boiler supports.  On the 4-8-2 Mountain, you must slide those stands out of the boiler to release the shell.

Also, I'm guessing the glue is still wet when the shell is mounted on the frame at the factory.  I found the shell a bit sticky the first time I tried to release one off a consolidation.

As far as the light bulb goes... There's a good possibility it is working, but very dim.  The light has to pass from the inside frame, through a plastic rod, and finally to the thick headlight lens.

I have been moving the bulb directly into the headlight.  It takes a bit of drilling and tinkering to make it happen, but the results are a much brighter headlight.  The other drawback is future removal of the shell becomes a bit tricky due to the extra wire, now permanently running from the frame, through the boiler shell, and into the headlight.  This is fine for an led (less heat).  With an incandescent bulb, you must add a metal tube in the headlight to protect it from heat.

I'd post a few pics, but I don't have access to my photobucket account right now.

Caveat:  I don't own a decapod, but have tinkered with a number of Bachmann locos. There are some repeating designs in all their locos, like light bulb location and shell removal.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jonathan

kb2cxj

thank you for your time and tip's. my big problem is the running boards on the sides of the shell are glued on. they must come off to remove it. and I took off the smoke box cover. the bulb is at the end of it's wire. no play..I thought if I could pull it out a bitand change it. the bulb looks good. but the ohm meter reads open. I am thinking the wires going to the bulb?? it would be a snap if I could get the running boards off. I just can't see how to get them off with out braking it. strong glue. I was lucky with the smoke box door. I stuck a small screw driver behind the lip, and gave it a whack with another tool and it popped off in one peace. there is also another plastic peace under the boiler that must come off. it to is glued and painted over. I think I can snap that off. but I don't want the trash the shell. for now I put it aside, pending what I find out here. I think a new shell cost 40 bucks. or I would brake it off and get a new one. and I'm not even sure if it comes with the running boards??the whole thing is apart now. just can't get the shell off. you can bet I will be replacing it with a LED. what I thought would be a simple thing, turned into a night mare ... PS the lite never worked from day one out of the box. the backup lite works great... Murphy's law!! if it was the other way around, I could care less,, lol

jonathan

The reason the bulb won't budge:  if it is an led, like all the other recent steamers, you have to separate the cast frame to release the bulb.  The bulb is shaped in such a manner that it is locked in place when the frame is put together.

I'm afraid this is the only pic I have of the led's used for the steam headlights:

If you can see the wider lip at the back of the bulb, THAT is holding the bulb in the frame.

I'm confused by your running board issue.  I don't understand why you would have to unglue the running boards to lift off the shell.  The shells are designed to lift off once you remove the drawbar screw, and sometimes, a few accessories have to be pulled out of the front of the boiler.  Have you studied the included diagrams?  I know they're not the best, but they do help some when looking for screws or figuring out how pieces are attached.  Wish I could be more help.

Regards,

Jonathan

kb2cxj

VICTORY IS MINE!!!!    I got it off. my lite was not an LED. but it is now. the running boards on my 2-10-0 had to come off in order to free the shell . there is a compressor mounted to a stud that is part of the motor frame. that fit under the running board. locked in. also there was a peace under the boiler that gets glued in place after the shell is put on. I did have to glue that back. it's part of the shell. I very carefully, with the tip of my exact o knife broke free the glue one by one, the studs from on the running boards. that freed the shell. and that other peace snapped off in tacked to. I must say. I have fixed many many ho steam engines for years now. this one was the hardest to get apart I have ever done. if not for the glue. it would be a peace of cake for the experienced micro Sergent. witch is what we are,, lol . if you don't have great eye sight, and steady hands. this job is not for you. also a good time to oil the motor. mine looked dry. the next time it needs oil. the shell has to come off again... I did not glue the running boards back. there on there good with out the glue. I want to thank you guys for you help and input. this board is a good way we can help one and other. I like this!!

jonathan

Glad you were successful.  We all learned from the fact you shared your experience.   That's why I stay with this forum.  So many are willing to share, so we can all learn.  Glad you found the caps lock button your keyboard, too.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan