News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

help with Bachmann EZ snap track wiring

Started by surveyorbill, October 09, 2010, 07:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surveyorbill

Hello men. I need help with the red and green wireing on my layout. I am nailing it down after a year of not wanting to deal with the electrical. So I want to ask some guidance from one of you railroaders. I will take some pictures and try to show what I want to do. I have basic electrical theory from navy sonar and torpedoman training at US Fleet ASW School in SD class of 65 but this snap modular stuff is a challenge. And expensive.

Can Bachman EZ switches be hooked up to do manually with a throw?

I'll be back.

jonathan

Welcome aboard, Shipmate!

Looking forward to your questions and pictures.  Hint... You will need a photo sharing account to post pictures here--something like photobucket or the other one whose name escapes me.

Anything is possible.  I've never used an EZ track turnout.  But plenty here have.

Regards,

Jonathan
USN(ret)

ABC

Flickr is another good photo-hosting site. The turnouts have a little switch on the side for manual use.

Doneldon

surveyor and jonathan-

Anchors Away and aye aye and all that stuff (you know what kind of stuff).  Another old sailor (me) heard from.  Also retired Navy.  Some of the best and some of the worst years of my life.
                                                                                                                                   -- D

surveyorbill

Quote from: ABC on October 09, 2010, 09:36:12 PM
Flickr is another good photo-hosting site. The turnouts have a little switch on the side for manual use.

The little lever on the switch has no positive lock and will partially open  after a lot of traffic and derail. Needs a spring loaded actuating ziz=throckle or a cogged daligometer etc.

jonathan

You can create your own positive locking spring with some stiff wire... say a paper clip, and a Langstrom 7/8" gangly wrench.  I don't know if EZ track turnouts have holes in the ties, but you could drill one.  The result would look like this:

As long as the turnouts are within reach, throwing the switch with your finger is no problem.  Takes a little practice to get the length and the bend just right in the stiff wire.  This method was taught to me by another ingenious member of the forum. 

I love it.

I have only powered a few turnouts that I can't reach easily.  Just an idea for you...

Regards,

Jonathan