Bachmann hand car bearings ( or lack there of )

Started by norman, November 08, 2010, 11:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norman

Dear Mr Bachmann:

A quote from a hobbyist on another model train website:

" I ran the Bachmann Hand cars on a professional display for several years.  It was on point-to-point tracks. I wore out 6-8 each year.

The problem was not having ball bearings where the axles go through the steel frame.  The stamped holes in the frames would wear to a point the the gears would start binding and then the motor would be under so much stress that the motor would finally burn up.

I tried converting them with bushings (from a R/C racing hobby shop) but at that time did not have the proper tools to modify the frames.

If Bachmann woold add the Bushing/Bearing improvement, the hand cars would be much better mechanically and electrically.  "

Question:

Can Bachmann issue new frames with shouldered tube inserts for the axles to turn in?
Why would Bachmann release a product with metal axles turning in metal holes?
Can a retrofit handcar frame be sent to the parts department?

Thank you

Norman

Doneldon

norm-

This is a relatively inexpensive item which is intended for occasional use on a home layout, not continuous running on a display.  The cost of equipping it with ball bearings would push the price beyond what most potential customers would pay.  Retrofitting would be even more than that so I'm sure Bachmann service will not do it.  However, this is likely something you can do yourself.  I would guess you wouldn't even need ball bearings.  I'll bet that oil impregnated bronze would give long life and could be done quite easily.  Contact a clock shop where they have such material.  I'm sure they would sell or even give a small piece.

-- D

Spule 4

Or use Igus bearings like I have done on other large scale motorblock repairs.

http://www.igus.com/wpck/default.aspx?pagenr=3681&C=US&L=en

Drill out the existing plastic and insert the new bearing.
Garrett