News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 Truck Climax Question

Started by Steam Freak, October 25, 2010, 07:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Freak

I have a question:

Will the new 3 Truck 70t Climax have either steel gears, or a better way of managing it? I'm sure Bachmann knew about the past issues with the older 2 Truck Climax. I don't want to buy one of the new 3 truck versions coming out unless Bachmann plans or has made a fix to solve that issue once and for all.

richg

The Bach Man has already said Bachmann has the new plastic gears. Look in the General question category. Don't forget, the Bachmann stuff is made in China.
He just did not say if the gears are improved plastic. The only way we would know is if the maker of the plastic gears did a life test and I doubt that would happen. That kind of testing takes time and money. I use to do that kind of testing when I worked for a helicopter company.
NWSL sells steel gears for individuals to replace at their discretion. NWSL does not sell the gears to Bachmann as I am on the NWSL email notification list.

Rich

Steam Freak

I'm guessing the new plastic gears are a little more sturdy? Good to know that NWSL makes steel gears in case the new Climax has any issues.

Doneldon

The cost of testing is minimal compared to the repairs on hundreds or thousands of locomotives with stripped gears, not to mention the customer ill will.  I'm betting that Bachmann has solved the gear issue.  Will I be buying one, to put my money where my mouth is, as it were?  No, but not because I'm worried about the gears.  I just don't happen to need one.

-- D