News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Blacken-it

Started by Steam Freak, October 27, 2010, 07:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Freak

Has anybody dealt with the chemical "Blacken-it" on HO stuff? If anybody has, do you know if you can use it on gears?

richg

I have used Blacken It a number of times but never on gears. Not sure if it would affect the brass gear finish.
Remember, this solution is an Acid.
Do a Google search for blacken it on brass. I did and there is plenty of info on this product.
I have stored some of the links for reference.

Rich

jonathan

Steam,

I have experimented with Blacken-it quite a bit.  I haven't had much success with the results.  However, it does do a nice job on chain, making it look well used and aged.

The more expensive stuff, Neolube, is probably better for your application.  Because it is a graphite (emulsion?) it acts as a lubricant, as well as, producing a nice, darkened color.  Neolube is also conductive, so you have to be mindful around connections that could cause shorts.  I have had no negative conductive issues since using it.  I have put it on metal worm gears, valve gears, wheels and smokeboxes.  The color is a perfect match when you need to touch up a smokebox. 

Even though pricey, one bottle will last a lifetime. 

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Below is an example of using Blacken It on a brass crane and brass Ken Kidder four wheel tender.

Neolube looks good but can be wiped off if handled. But it will provide lubricant for gears.
I use Neolube on steamer side rods.

Rich

Steam Freak

Thank you for the advice guys! Neolube sounds like its the way to go. I'll probably use the Blacken-it on detail parts just for looks :-)