News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pilgrimage to Timonium?

Started by jonathan, October 29, 2010, 08:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Anyone heading to Timonium on Saturday?

I'll be the guy frantically looking for nice B&O rolling stock.

Our club will also have a modular display; PWMRC.

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Lucky you, Jon. I have family obligations this weekend - I'd rather have a root canal.

A buddy models Western Maryland and "beano." He'll also be looking for rolling stock.  THe B&O was the third largest railroad in the country; youi would think there'd be a lot more modellers.

By the way, did you see the nice PRR P54 cars reviewed in RMC? Two or three would be right at home behind the G-5. Just sayin...

richg

That always sounds like a nice show. I never got there when I was a NASA contractor living in Pocomoke City MD. Was busy raising rug rats.
I am fortunate to have the Big E show nearby in West Springfield MA which is the largest show on the NE coast. The Bach Man is always there.

Rich

BaltoOhioRRfan

I'll be going. I'm taking my nephew and will have my two funeral engines with me to show off to people I know. I'll also be looking for materials to finish Purdy's funeral train and anything else I can find.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

OldTimer

Hope you all have a great time.  Eat a hot dog for me.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

jonathan

The chow was a bit pricey!

On the plus side, the trains were well priced. :)

R,

J

BaltoOhioRRfan

At the show....

I got two display cases for my memorial engines

Bachmann Spectrum B&O Observation #900(I believe i have all different numbered B&O coaches That they made)

Ringling Bros Overton Observation

200th Annyiversary of the constitution overton obs to go with the 3 overlands i got at a earlier show

I also got a punch of Pepsi Tractor Trailers

and parts and supplies
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

jonathan

Welcome Back, Josh.  Sounds like you loaded up.

In between operating B&O trains on our club modular layout, I managed to sneak in a little shopping.  The F&C wagon top box car kits were 2 for 1, so...

I hope I have the dexterity and eyesight to complete those kits. 

Did you see the brass wagon top cabeese?  I counted at least 5, bought none... too much coin for my allowance.

Regards,

Jonathan

BaltoOhioRRfan

No didn't see those, i had a rug-rat with me most of the show until his father came and got him(my newphew) was your layout over in the wing with the vendors?
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

hminky

This was the first Timonium I had been to since 2006.

Boy is the crowd old, and the event is a former ghost of itself. I thought it had declined in 2006 but now it is only a shadow.

Harold

jonathan

Harold,

As this was my first Timonium trip, I have nothing to compare it to.  I felt like it was busy, as I had a hard time moving between all the shoppers.  There were folks of all ages, although, the majority seemed to be the grey-haired set (I'm quickly getting there, myself).

I enjoyed the selection, and the recession based prices.  Wish I had deeper pockets.  I kept to the cash that was in my wallet.

Josh,

Our layout was the last HO layout, aaaaallll the way in the back.  We had a big PWMRC sign overhead.  I was the guy playing with all the sounds, walking around the outside, running some B&O F units (A&B) with a train of Timesaver box cars.  I really like it when the kids come up to look close at the train.  Then I would ring the bells and blow the horn.  It really tickled the kids.  OK, I was having a good time, too.

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

My good buddy told me that the event was not nearly as crowded as it once was. He did find a number of vendors willing to negotiate prices. His line is always, "Sell it to me or pack it up again for the next show." There are some guys who refuse to budge on prices. I usually move on and don't understand why they don't want to move their inventory.

I was at the first one which, if I remember, was very crowded.

Are they still selling those murderous bratwursts?

jonathan

Don't remember the brats, but I do remember the food was more expensive than the trains!

There were more than enough brass vendors.  I don't think their inventory moved much.  Those prices have gotten a little out of hand.

The Funaro and Camerlengo rep had a huge selection of kits.  Her table was nearly cleared at the end of the day.  I picked up a couple myself.  I hope I don't regret it.  These babies are proving quite a challenge to build.

It was weird to see the Bachmann consolidation in the standard blue box.  I know it's still the same loco, but the packaging makes it look like you're buying something less that what it used to be.  Funny how something like a box can give one a different point of view.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

Some of us remember back in the day when the show was held at the Howard County fairgrounds in that big Quonset hut building.  The show has definitly shrunk in the last few years.  There were more attendees this weekend, but maybe even fewer sellers than in April.  It used to be that the entire main hall was full of vendors.  Now there's a very large space that had some display railroads and that was about it. 

Yes, the average age of the modeler is getting older.  Go to an NMRA convention and it looks like the average age of the attendee is about 55.  We're losing folks on the one end but not replacing them fast enought on the young end.  And personally, I thought a lot of the pricing was pretty high for what was being offered.  I only bought two sets of WM Fireball decals in 1:48 for possible future projects.  I contemplated getting a couple of the wagon-tops for use on the McKeesport club, but right now I don't have much modeling time at home, so that will have to wait. 

Woody Elmore

Sadly, today's youth like a lot of action and movement. They have grown up with video games and remote control TVs. There is a new behavior that is being written about by educators and sociologists. They call it Continuous Partial Attention. Some folks call it multi-tasking. It is the reason why lessons in elementary schools are often taught in little ten minute blocks.  Trains are time consuming. My good friend's son, on visiting a local club said, "Is that all they do?"

Another reason for the decline is the decline in railroading general. I stopped not long ago for a freight train in South Carolina - actually I sat and waited - the train was a Norfolk Southern train with two diesels up front. (Since all diesels look the same I have no idea what they were!) The train was a mixture of non-descript fright cars - mostly grain hoppers. Very boring. I remember the time I first saw a NYC jade green caboose - it certainly had the "wow" factor.

It's too bad that kids don't get more interested. As a hobby you learn some basic electronics and get a chance to express your artistic side. Also, and this is a plus, you get to go on the Bachmann bulletin board!