News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-8-2 lt. mtn

Started by ras1221, November 14, 2010, 10:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ras1221

Will the Bachmann N 4-8-2 Lt. Mountain (item # 81665 for example) run on code 55 track (Atlas flex and turnouts)? Also will it handle 11.25 radius curves?  Thanks in advance for any information anyone has on this subject!

simkon

According to the Bachmann product description it has a"minimum radius of 19 inches." It will run on code 55 flex track, but you would want to use at least #7 turnouts if at all possible or #6's if you decide to use code 80. It won't make it through standard turnouts and it would be very close with #5 turnouts.

Albert in N

My Bachmann light mountain will run on code 80 11-inch radius.  However, I normally run it on 13 3/4-inch radius Kato Unitrack.  It will negotiate Kato #4 turnouts on my small layout.  However, it will not take Bachmann E-Z track #4 turnouts and neither did my Bachmann Northern.  I switched to Kato Unitrack.  The light mountain has fine scale wheels and I see no reason not to use Atlas code 55, as long as ballast does not cover the top of the ties at the rails.  I would simply try running it on a circle of the track that you need.  You may have a friend or local model RR club with code 55 track that will let you try your light mountain on it.  That Bachmann light mountain is a beautiful locomotive and runs well at scale speed.  I like the metal boiler and the details, like the swinging ornamental bell on front.  It is light years ahead of the earlier N scale steamers.