NMRA compliant wheels for Jon Bull coaches?

Started by Paul T, June 01, 2007, 06:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul T

I love the Bachmann models of antique trains, have three, and all run. The LaFayette series seems to have American wheels, as does the John Bull loco itself. But the coaches have too narrow back-to-back to go through switches well. With the extremely short axle, and minimal clearance, I am really scrathing my head about how to get the coaches up to snuff. I measured the axles as 22.6mm (0.890"), and wheel diameter as 8.45mm (28.9 HO inches), with deep flanges, so total diameter is 35.5". Thus a wheel in the 30 - 33 inch range will fit, with Code 88 most likely.

Has anybody else solved this one? Thanks.

Conrail Quality

Well, with some scissors and some super glue, you might be able to mutilate plastic wheels from Life-Like(or similar) into what you want. But that would be the last resort option.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

rikc9

Try http://www.nwsl.com/
I bought HO scale wheels for a 4-2-4 CP Huntington loco.
They answer the phone and email.

rikc9

Paul T

Thank you for the suggestions. I did not know about the Reboxx wheelsets, or that they made the axle tool. But so far it seems nobody else has done this conversion. I might have to commission NWSL to make special wheels. My cheap caliper makes me uncertain exactly what to request. The shortest common axle length is the Atlas at 0.944", which could fit, but I would have to figure out how to drill out the sideframes. I have found no other use of 0.890" axle, the shortest so far being an English P87 at 0.915". Indeed maybe the problem is mainly the deep flanges at nearly 1mm. Maybe I will sacrifice one car to experiment. I think maybe I was hoping Bachmann had upgrades, There are at least to versions of the set, one with links, the other with X2F trainset couplers.