News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NEW 4-6-0 won't stay coupled

Started by CalgaryOn30guy, October 20, 2010, 06:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalgaryOn30guy

I just received a NEW 4-6-0 # 28903.  The tender coupler seems higher than normal and cars coupled onto it come loose. Is there a way to LOWER the coupler?

the Bach-man

Dear COG,
I haven't noticed that, but I'll check our sample here at the show tomorrow.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ChrisS

Is the coupler too high or is the shank bent? Several of my cars came with shanks that were permanently bent from the box. 

Stevelewis

The  above comments  are very valid,  a  bent  shank is  the  most  likely  cause, try swopping  the  coupler  for  another one first  see if  that  works.

It  is  poss  but  unlikley  that  the  rear  tender  bogie ( truck) is  not  seated  properly  thus  causing  the tender  to  sit  too high.

Does  the  phantom uncoupling  occur  randomly  or  just  in on 1 or 2  places  on your  line?

Hope  this  helps
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

CalgaryOn30guy

Steve, I'll check it out like you say and let you know as soon as I get my new glasses. My eyes at 73 are not 100%.
Thanks
Larry in Calgary, AB

the Bach-man

Dear COG,
The ten wheeler at the show pulled a variety of cars around the World's Greatest Hobby track layout with no problems. I'd try a new coupler.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

C.S.R.R. Manager

You could try replacing the coupler with an undershank coupler, where the knuckle is mounted lower.  Although I've not had trouble at all with the 4-6-0, so I do suspect that you have some sort of damage.

manager

CalgaryOn30guy

Well, I checked everything you all mentioned.  When backed up to any of my coaches, the coupler was high. So, I took my needle nose pliers and slightly bent the shank down.  It now seems to hang onto all my cars and coaches.
Thanks everyone.
Larry in Calgary

jerryl

swap it out for a Kadee.  Mfgs. think they are doing us a favor by including cheap knuckle  couplers. They end up in the same circular file as the horn hooks.