News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 3-Truck Climax....

Started by SALRy, October 31, 2010, 02:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SALRy

I just received one of the new 3-Truck Climax's and she is a beaut!  It is one of the DCC with no sound versions.  Can I run it on a straight DC track too or do I have to pull the DCC decoder and install a dummy plug??  I'm not very electronic savy and the Loco's instruction sheet is a little vague to me.  Also, if I need a dummy plug where can I find one?  Thanks in advance for any help.

SAL Ry  ;)

"Through The Heart Of The South"

simkon

It is a matter of preference some people are fine with the performance with the decoder in the loco, others prefer installing the 2 jumpers (which are two small pieces of metal that can be found in a little bag in the box with the loco).

Stevelewis

From  my  experience  of  DCC fitted  locos working  on  DC ( Analogue control)  I would  leave  the  decoder in  the  loco!!

Having   been in  Digital myself  since  1998  and  having  experience in  many locos in  scales from Z through to  G ............... I have  found  that  locos  do  perform  better  on  DC  if  they  have  decoders  fitted,
Many users  of  vintage  DC locos in  the  UK  ( Hornby  Dublo  and  Triang /Rovex etc) actually  fit  decoders  to  improve  the  performance  of  their locos!!)
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

ebtnut

I haven't seen one yet, but most all of the recent Bachmann locos come with a dual-mode decoder that will run just fine on either DC or DCC.  With some DCC models, you might have to crank up the DC throttle pretty high before they move. 

jdmike

So how does it run, is it improved over the 2 truck in relation to the drive problems it suffered.  I have one ordered from the LHS in Cass Scenic colors.    Mike

beleneagle

Yes please yet us know how well does it run? How is it's low speed?

WTierce1

Do you think that you could make a video of it for us? I have looked and looked for a video of it and have not found one.    :( :(
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

jdmike

The word from the Horizon hobby rep for the store I purchase thru, the Cass Scenic version w/sound should be shipping to the shop by the end of November or early December.  Early Christmas present for me!!   I cant wait other than the part of making my wallet lighter.   Mike

richg

Quote from: wtierce on November 13, 2010, 07:47:58 AM
Do you think that you could make a video of it for us? I have looked and looked for a video of it and have not found one.    :( :(

You forgot about You Tube. You will find all kinds of train videos there, including the Climax.
Probably only the two truck Climax though as the three truck is so new but should be about the same sound. Might depend on the decoder brand and who installed the decoder.
Keep checking You Tube every so often as new videos are added daily.
Remember, the sound might be different that one you hear on a layout as there are some things that make it sound different. The audio from different cam corders will not be quite the same.

Rich

WTierce1

I've looked on you tube the most out of everything for the three truck climax.   :(
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

richg

Quote from: wtierce on November 13, 2010, 06:41:47 PM
I've looked on you tube the most out of everything for the three truck climax.   :(

As I said, the loco is still very new. People will be making a video of theirs and put it on You Tube in the near future.
"Patience, grasshopper".

Rich