News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Glue

Started by rallinen, November 11, 2010, 11:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallinen

???  I have a number of bachmann trains (thomas). I am looking for a glue I can use(that will work) to glue parts back onto the bodies etc. I have tried CA, the glues sold for the plastic building parts, Tenra x-7. I can not find      anything sofar that will work.

jonathan

If you want something to hold forever, I find 5-minute epoxy to be the best stuff ever.  It's a bit messy, but if you're careful, the epoxy creates a really strong bond.

Just a personal opinion.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

You have some good answers to your question in the Trans.com Model Railroader forum also.
I have used 5 minute epoxy also. Just take your time and mix the two parts carefully and completely.
I use thin disposable latex gloves. Make sure you are not allergic to latex. Some people are.
I have worked with epoxies and MEK since the 1960's and you have to be careful with this stuff.
I bought a one gallon can of MEK many years ago and it is a fairly fast method for attaching styrene parts. I dispense a little into a one ounce bottle. I clean all parts with alcohol first. I also use a fan on low to disperse the fumes. Very flammable stuff also.
For  engineering plastic, I use the 5 minute epoxy and I rough it up a little with sand paper.

Rich

Jim Banner

Some Bachmann train parts are made of ABS and can be glued with ABS cement sold for ABS plumbing pipes.  Whatever you try next, be sure to remove ALL the residue of the other glues you have tried.  Otherwise you will be gluing to glue that doesn't stick to the plastic rather than gluing to the plastic.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

richg-

I'd be careful with that fan around MEK and other flammable solvents.  It could be the source of the spark which sets them off.

-- D

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on November 12, 2010, 02:50:46 AM
richg-

I'd be careful with that fan around MEK and other flammable solvents.  It could be the source of the spark which sets them off.

-- D

I am aware of that issue.
The fan is a squirrel cage motor with no commutator or motor  brushes. Totally inductive type drive.
I have not seen a fan with the commutator brush drive in may years.
I am also aware of static electricity that might cause a spark. Been there, done that, have the T shirt. Rare, but can happen on cold winter days.
I have worked with various motors and drives over the years.

Rich

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I use Dr. Mike's super glue for every "sticky" situation.
I get it from Micro-Mark- it's great!
the Bach-man

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Does anyone know what plastic the G scale indoor track ties are made of, and what glue would work on them?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

NarrowMinded

I have two young daughters that are always worrying Thomas and his friends, I use testors model glue, the trick with all glues like this is to apply a very thin layer to both pieces the press them together firmly for about ten seconds then leave them over night, again just put a thin layer just enough to make both surfaces wet.

NM

rayt

I noticed that the 5 mins epoxy glue is a mixture of two material, how can we keep it
fresh after opening it, and not like the crazy glue which became hardened whenever we need it.

jonathan

One of the advantages of mixing epoxy is you only mix a little at a time.  The two tubes of resin and hardener will stay pretty stable for a long time.  For small jobs (they are always small), I use one drop, or small dollop of each, mix with a toothpick and apply with the same toothpick.  You then have a couple minutes of adjusting and clamping time to get the two pieces positioned just right.  After that, the pieces are bonded, but good.

Regards,

Jonathan

rayt

Jonathon, thank you for your info.

Regards,

Raymond