News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

paint

Started by dipeedo, November 16, 2010, 04:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dipeedo

I have recently gotten some ore car kits. The instructions point out that the parts should be painted before being assembled, and I believe that would make a better finished product, but all my model paints are enamel which is a glossy finish  - not what one would expect of ore cars that had been in use for a while !
Any ides on de-glossying paints and finishes ? ( I have to ask, as we live in a small town (1800 pop) 100 miles from a LHS.  (or more)

jonathan

Typically, I paint models with a glossy finish.  This aids in applying decals.

You get rid of the shine by applying a dull lacquer, a common model substance is called, "Dullcote."

Here's recent model I posted.  I painted it with a high gloss paint, applied decals, then gave it a couple coats of Dullcote.  Makes it look more realistic, especially the decals:

Sorry, I did shoot a pic in it's shiny state.

Since you are nowhere near an LHS, I imagine a similar product would be available at a local hardware store or paint store.  I'm told automotive paints are great for models.  Just a couple of thoughts.

Enjoy the kits!  

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

It just occured to me I DO have a shiny picture of another project:

Then dulled down a bit:

ebtnut

Artist's supply shops may also sell flat finish spray finish materials. 

wjstix

I usually spray a model with gloss finish before adding decals, then seal the decals in with flat finish spray. Then I weather the model with powdered charcoal - I put it on fairly heavy, then remove much of it with a soft paper towel (like Viva) so the charcoal remains mainly around rivets or between slats of a wood-sided car. Then I seal the weathering in with another spray of flat finish.

Testor's dullcote and glosscote are good, I often use acrylic gloss and matte spraycans from an art supply store (Michael's).

dipeedo

These are grreat ideas - thanks for the contributions ! I'll be trying them.

PhilBostian

Almost an art supply store should have glosscote and dullcote or be able to get them for you.

You may also want to do some weathering on ore cars.  They were generally beat up pretty badly from the loads they carried and being loaded and unloaded.

There are many weathering suggestions on the internet.  Google model railroad weathering or the like for ideas and supplies needed.  Powdered chalks and diluted paint washes are good ways to go.  Get some prototype in-service pictures to help you.

Phil