News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD F-9 Explorer

Started by robcope, November 17, 2010, 03:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robcope

Wife bought me the n scale explorer set to get me started.  I really like the locomotive.  The only thing I am curious about is the power pack.  The loco doesn't start moving until the dial is at 35.  Is this normal?  Doesn't seem like a big deal, just curious.  It was fairly obvious the train set sat on the hobby lobby shelves for a long time.  I don't want to lube it if it isn't necessary.  I would be greatful for any advice.

simkon

It may be slightly over-lubed from the factory, but if you think it may be an issue try cleaning the track and wheels thoroughly first and if that does not fix it, remove all the gunk and lube/grease from the motor and reapply a small dab of plastic compatible lubricant.

Albert in N

The Bachmann F-9 does take 6 volts or so to start moving and runs well at 8 volts.  This is true for my F-9 and my GP-40s.  Many N scale locomotives do not start until you are near the half way mark on the speed control.  This is true for trainset power pack, older big Bachmann Spectrum power supply, as well as MRC Tech 2 or Tech 4 power pack.  On the other hand, my Bachmann GE B30-7 and FM H-16-44 locomotives start with little voltage and run fast at 6 volts or more.  If you like steam, the Bachmann 2-6-2 Prairie with tender is nice and will run about the same voltage as your F-9 (but be aware that the 2-6-2 does not have a headlight).  My Union Pacific F-9 is rugged and dependable.  Sometimes I double head it with a Bachmann GP-40 (has same mechanism as F-9).  I added decal numbers in the lighted number boards on my F-9 and enjoy running it.  N scale locomotives normally do not need to be oiled, since the gears are frictionless nylon.  Oil just attracts dirt and causes loss of current (runs jerky) and makes track cleaning a frequent task.  If you do oil it, use plastic-compatible hobby oil and only lightly oil the gears (and keep oil off the wheels and motor).  In any event with N scale, keep your track clean!!!  I use a dry rag (like old hanky) and wipe the rails.  It is a good idea to dampen a spot on the rag with rubbing alcohol and wipe the rails, following with a dry rag (or dry spot on same rag).  Be sure that the track power is off, since alcohol is flammable!  When you no longer get black streaks from the rails, you are ready run the train for several hours.  I use my finger, or a Kleenex, to wipe the rails to check if needs cleaning.  If you get residue from wiping, time to clean again.  Since I live in dusty west Texas, I probably have to clean track more often (once or twice a week unless I run trains over 5 hours).

robcope

Funny, I live in West Texas, San Angelo

Albert in N

Hi Robcope,  I now live in Fort Worth, having spent over 20 years working in Lubbock area, moving "east" in 1990 to "where the West begins".  Admittedly, I try to keep my layout scenery very simple due to dust.  We spent $10,000 on new insulated vinyl house windows and doors, plus other efforts.  After winds, we still have some dust since it is just in the air.  How do you keep your N track and equipment clean?  I still use rags with a little rubbing alcohol on tracks, fine bristled brushes on rolling stock and buildings, Shark vacuum, etc.  The 5 years that I spent in Garland (near Dallas) from 1990 to 1995 was not as dusty.  Of course, Fort Worth is not nearly as dusty as Lubbock TX!  Believe it or not, I trusted early Bachmann F-9s and GP-40s on my earlier N layouts during the 1970s.  (The early 1970 versions had large metal spur gears mounted in plastic locomotive truck frames.)  I bought a few Bachmann freight cars in 1969 to go with my first N scale set (an Atlas product powered by a Rivarossi Italian-made E-8).

robcope

I have no idea how I am going to keep my gear clean.  I am so new to this, my F-9 is in the box next to my chair.  I have never been involved in Model railroading, but have been reading model Railroader since I was 16 years old.  We are moving to a much bigger house with an insulated shed that appears to stay fairly dust free.  We will see I guess.  I can't wait to get started.  I love the Sante Fe diesel, so my wife bought me the set.

Right now I am just trying to figure out a layout of either 3x6 or 4x8.  I don't want to get to carried away, but I want to build something nice, but simple.