News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Feeder track

Started by robcope, November 18, 2010, 04:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robcope

I understand the need for feeders, but how many for what distance and what do you wire the feeders to, to provide current.  I want to make a small 3x6 layout running two trains.  Thx for your help.

randbo

i think one feeder every 36 inches is a good rule. you can use atlas code 80 metal rail joiners and solder wires directly to the underside of them. they do fit on bachman ez track. that will save you the expense of buying all those feeder/rerailers. dont forget to provide the common rail every 36 inches also.

you can get atlas spade lug terminals and use terminal strips or the atlas selector pieces to screw the lugs into. check out the train shop for electrical stuff. they sell terminal strips there also.

i am suggesting atlas products because bachmann doesnt make this stuff, altho the bachmann ez track is easy to use and it works very well. the power routing turnouts are especially nice since the whole frog is powered and power routing is a nice safety feature to keep you from running into the turnout from the wrong switch position.

robcope

I don't understand what you mean as far as common rail is concerned

James in FL

Hi robcope,

If you could provide more information on exactly what you plan to do, we could provide more accurate answers.

Are you planning DCC or DC?
Continuous running or switching, or both?
If you plan to use DC and want to run two trains simultaneously, you will need blocks. Otherwise one will eventually catch the other.
Each block will generally require its own power feed.

Do you plan to use power routing turnouts?
This makes a difference.

For a 3x6 layout (oval, no turnouts, and one loco) one power drop is sufficient provided you have good rail joiner contact throughout the loop. The speed of the loco opposite the power drop will be negligible.
If you find it necessary, you will need no buss, just run two feeder wires from the power pack to opposite sides of the layout.

IMO if you solder track, a power drop every 3 ft. is a waste of time and resources, could be money better spent elsewhere.
Every 10 -12 ft is sufficient.
Try it and judge for yourself.

If you don't solder track and are strictly relying on the joiners to provide power, every 3 feet is not a bad idea.

Beware of rules and experts; I have yet to encounter any, of either, in this hobby.

Atlas item code 2092 (code 55)
Atlas item code 2539 (code 80)
< $4 each

I understand Bachmann may delete this response to your question, however if Bachmann would offer this same product accessory, I would surely recommend their product on their forum.

Good Luck

robcope

I intend to use dcc.  I would like to run two train in continuous loop and be able to switch them back and forth and into a train yard on the inside of the inner loop.  Thx for the info, I will be buying some of those terminal joiners.

James in FL

Can you post a sketch of your track plan?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and presume you want a double track oval with a yard inside the inner loop.
Will the trains be running opposite directions on the loops?
To switch from the inner to the outer loop will require some type of crossover or two turnouts.
From the inner loop to the yard will require as least one more turnout.
I really don't want to be presumptuous here, what I am envisioning may, or may not, be what you want to accomplish with your pike.

Double track main line oval (3x6) with yard inside the inner oval, if it were me doing this, I would have three blocks, three power drops (outer, inner, and yard) regardless of DCC or DC.
Additional power drops are a plus, but you must determine what overkill is.

Again can you post a track plan?
Without it, I will not comment further.

robcope

Your assumptions are all correct.  I would post my layout plans, but I don't have anything to post yet.  I won't even be getting to deep into this until we move into our new house in December.  I have just been reading and coming here for answers.  For your info:

Two main line ovals connected with a crosover
A turnout off the outer loop for a place to start and store trains
A turn out off the inner loop into the center to a train yard

Those are the basics, I have used all rails (free version) and can't finish the plan.  I wish I knew another program that allowed for the use of ez track.