News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound for DCC equipped LOCO

Started by mtlaplante, November 20, 2010, 10:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtlaplante

I just recently bought a EMD GP7 Diesel LOCO item no 62402.  It seems like it is possible to install a speaker under the engine, is that possible, what sound card is recommended, do you have instructions on installation? 

simkon

Yeah they have holes in the bottom of the fuel tank cover, so you can add a speaker, any speaker that will fit in there will be fine. As far as decoders, maybe go with one on the smaller side because from the diagram it appears to be a little low on space.

richg

Looking at the GP7 diagram, there is a spot for a round speaker in the tank. Probably a 28mm size as that is the max size I have been able to use in a HO loco. Make sure there is nothing magnetic in the road bed. Some speaker installs in tanks do pickup magnetic stuff.
I cannot comment on what is used for lights.
SoundTraxx has shrink wrapped and light board type sound decoders but you would have to do some measurements if no one has done this install before.
There are a couple manufactures that have lower price sound decoders but I do not have the info.
Since there is a speaker hole, that tells me not to far down the line, Bachmann will be installing sound in these locos and it will probably be the Tsunami light board type decoder..
I found that out when I bought a Spectrum 4-4-0 Richmond that had a speaker hole in the tender but Bachmann was not selling locos with sound at that time. They do now.

You can email Litchfield Station and they can tell you which decoder and speaker. They have for me.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/DCC-University/index.htm

Rich