News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann for Beginners

Started by cpoplinger, November 17, 2010, 09:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpoplinger

I got started in N scale railroad because it was smaller than HO gage and I really didn't have much room to work with.  I just jumped into it not knowing the difference between track by Kato, Bachmann, Life Style and others.  I ordered some track from eBay, one lot was Bachmann and another lot was something else.  I decided to go with "something else" track since it was less expensive and I sold the Bachmann.  Now I'm sorry I did.    Question 1:  Will equipment labeled as Bachmann work on Kato track?  Question 2: Is there any way to get a train moving on Bachmann track to move on Kato track and back?  My locomotive tenders derail a lot when moving across Kato switches.  I can see were the problem is but I just don't know how to fix it.  Question 3: Do trains derail when moving across a Bachmann switch or is the Bachmann switch more stable?

I will convert to all Bachmann if the Bachmann is more stable than the Kato, but I don't want to spend the money if there is little or no difference between the Bachmann and Kato switches.

simkon

"Life Style" never heard that one. But to answer your questions, Bachmann locomotives and rolling stock will run on all brands of track as long as you have wide enough radius and gentle enough turnouts, to accommodate most locomotives it is best to use #6 turnouts and above. Check to see what # turnouts you have common ones are #4, #5 & #6, or you could just have a standard turnout with a curved divergent route.

James in FL

Hi cpoplinger,

To go a bit further than "Hunt"s reply –

Scale is what something would equal to, representative of size.
In the USA, N scale is 1:160
In Japan, 1:150
In the UK 1:148

Gauge, or gage, (both correct) refers to the distance between railheads.
N gauge is 9 mm (global) regardless of scale.

The answer to question 1 is yes.
The answer to question 2 is absolutely, provided the track gauge is consistent
If your tenders are de-railing check the wheel gauge first.
Check that the wheel sets are free wheeling (no binding).
What loco and what tender are you having difficulty with?
If you can see where the problem is, tell us, so we cam help with a solution.
Question 3; If the turnout is functioning properly (proper gauge) and throw, and wheel sets are in proper gauge, B'mann turnouts as are as reliable as any of the other manufacturers turnouts. This takes a bit of work.

All manufactured turnouts require tweaking for optimum performance.
It's part of the hobby. It is what it is, and has always has been.

Stable? Not sure what you mean here...reliable...yes they can be... if you make them so.

If you're using Kato, your tweaking and adjusting will be minimal, out of the box. Tweeking will be the exception rather than the rule.
If required at all.

RAM

may be Life Style should be Lifelike.

Doneldon

RAM-

I think my lifestyle is very life like, but my wife thinks it's juvenile.

-- D

RAM

Doneldon, I am sure that your wife is right.  I know mine always is.