News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to HO trains, new to EZ track...

Started by cy131, November 24, 2010, 06:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cy131

I was on some other model RR sites and they directed me here since I got a starter set for my kids
last Xmas.  As we set it up this year, my older son and i went to a train show and bought another
tank engine (0-4-0) and a car to go along with it.  This is additional to our Bachmann set.  Bare with me as I am new to all of these terms as this hobby is growing me and in some cases more than my son, lol!

My questions are about these EZ track.  When I was a kid my dad had a set, but it wasn't EZ track.  It was those traditional tracks (possible the code 83) with the copper or metal (not sure) couplers, a terminal set of track you wired yourself to the power pack.  Believe it or not, my dad gave me the older power pack with which works.  This means I have two power packs, 1 from my new Bachmann set and one from my dad.  I plan on running both power packs (if possible) with two engines running on two different lines.  My question is, can I get those connectors that come with the Bachmann power pack and wire it to my old power pack.  It's like a mix and match kind of thing.  My goal is to have two or three engines on two lines with cut offs wherever necessary.  I've done some research and think it can be done, but my main question is about the old power pack I have.  

Thanks in advance and bare with me as i'm very new to this and I think all of you can educate me.

tigerthelion

Hi!

Read your post... I have often wondered the same thing and ended up splicing wires, cutting wires, and joinging them again using electrical tape. If you are referring to the red terminal wire that came with the set, just cut it and attach wires to terminals on the old power pack.

To be on the safe side, check that the old power pack has adequate wattage/amps to prevent any malfunctions.

Hope this helps!

Colin

cy131

Colin, thanks for your quick reply.  That old power pack was probably made in the 80's so it's not ancient.
It does have the 16VAC terminal as well for accessories so that seems to be common.  I'll have take a pic and post it.

I'm sure I can buy more of those red terminal wires from Bachmann and cut it and attach it to the terminals
of the old pack.

Thanks!  I'll give it a shot.

cy131

Just to clarify my mis-use of terminology, when I say power pack I guess it's a speed controller.

Woody Elmore

You were right the first time - it is a power pack.