Mixing and Matching Rolling Stock from Different Manufacturers

Started by atari, November 23, 2010, 07:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atari

Pardon the newbie question but the HO FAQ section doesn't seem to be populated and I didn't see this from a search.

We have just purchased the Bachmann Digital Commander starter set for my 7 year old. It looks like a good start but is very short on rolling stock so we would like to get more. As we shop, can we easily connect other cars from other manufacturers or must we stick with Bachmann.

I've read that Kadee couplers are the way to go but let's just assume we are holding off on that for now unless you folks strongly recommend it.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Any Christmas buying advice would we welcome.

Thanks.

jward

as long as all cars have the same basic types of couplers they should be compatable. i personally have locomotives from about 6 different comapnies running on my layout, and cars from more different companies. to-day, most of the cars come with knuckle couplers, which are compatable with kadees. i only change them to kadee if the original ones break.

the exceptions here will be the thomas line of engines and cars which have their own type of hook and loop coupling. they will run on the same track as your other trains, but thomas will only be able to pull his own cars.

one problem you may run into is if you buy trains off ebay, or older trains from a hobby shop or train show. cars older than 10-15 years will often have a third type of coupler, horn hook, which was standard for many years. avoid these if possible as they, and most likely the cars that have them, as far inferior to the current ones. kadee style knuckle couplers are now standard for a reason, and even when horn hooks were standard most of us replaced them with kadees.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

simkon

Basically avoid buying a bunch of older cars for a few bucks each, just look for the talgo trucks and horn-hook couplers. They may appear to be a bargain, but they are actually the worst purchase you could make because of all the money and time it would take to convert them. This is what you want to avoid:

Photo property of TYCO

jbsmith

Quote from: atari on November 23, 2010, 07:47:14 AM
Pardon the newbie question but the HO FAQ section doesn't seem to be populated and I didn't see this from a search.

We have just purchased the Bachmann Digital Commander starter set for my 7 year old. It looks like a good start but is very short on rolling stock so we would like to get more. As we shop, can we easily connect other cars from other manufacturers or must we stick with Bachmann.

I've read that Kadee couplers are the way to go but let's just assume we are holding off on that for now unless you folks strongly recommend it.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Any Christmas buying advice would we welcome.

Thanks.

So long as the cars have knuckle couplers yes.
Kadee couplers are great, they are metal and more durable than plastic.
They are a good choice for replacing broken plastic couplers, a good idea to have some on hand.

X-mas advice?  Bachman track packs!  To expand from just a basic ovall. Here are two

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product-p/bac-44596.htm

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-44594-Nickel-Silver-E-Z-Track-Lay-p/bac-44594.htm

bobwrgt

You can mix and match all he cars you want. If you don't want to change the couplers on all the cars at first you can make a transition car or two. Take one car and with an old style coupler on one end and install a Kadee or Bachmann coupler on the other end. IHC use to make a universal coupler that would mate with both the Knuckle coupler and the horn-hook coupler. I have a few of these on some cars that i can hook to anything.  Not automatic but they work. Some are listed on Ebay.

Bob

jward

bob
do you mean the magic mate couplers? ever run two of them together? every time the slack bunches in your train they come apart......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bobwrgt

I guess i have no slack or sudden stops as they don't come apart easy. Even when i try to separate them by hand they don't come apart easy.
I don't have a yard to switch in just a mainline.

Bob

Jhanecker2

to atari:  the only type of HO scale rolling stock you might have a problem with is rolling stock made by "Maerklin". Their equipment made in Germany is made to run on a   AC voltage system as opposed to the more common  DC  or DCC systems  .   Almost all rolling stock can be modified to run on HO but it isn't the first thing you want to learn to do if all your intersted in is running trains with your kids.  It is one of the aspects of modeling that is interesting to some of us .     Welcome to the Hobby  and  Good Luck. J2

OldTimer

Marklin equipment is THREE RAIL.  That means that the wheels are not insulated.  Putting one of their cars on a two rail DC or DCC layout will immediately short out the layout (or power district or block). 
Just workin' on the railroad.

rogertra

I have locomotives, steam and diesel from Spectrum (Diesel and Steam), Atlas (Diesel), Kato (Diesel), Life-Like P2K (Steam and RDCs) and Athearn (Steam).

And rolling stock from all the above plus Branchline, Rapido etc., etc., and they all run fine together.

They all have Kadee couplers and all rolling stock has metal wheels replacing the plastic ones.