News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO 3 truck Climax no go.

Started by Ed Radz, November 24, 2010, 09:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Radz

UPS just dropped my package with the Climax. Its a beautiful little engine. All the valve gear turns but no go. Its not the trucks. It looks like its something in the main gearbox. I disconnected the trucks. Output shafts out of the gearbox don't turn. Suggestions?

the Bach-man

Dear Ed,
Please return it to your dealer for a replacement.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

bobwrgt

Contact UPS or the place where you purchased it at. You need to file a claim with UPS for the damage and get a replacement.
Any outside damage to the box??

Bob

Pacific Northern

Quote from: bobwrgt on November 25, 2010, 07:07:38 AM
Contact UPS or the place where you purchased it at. You need to file a claim with UPS for the damage and get a replacement.
Any outside damage to the box??

Bob

The new packaging Bachmann chose is no way as resilient to damage as the old packaging with the foam inserts.

I have had a number of Bachmann engines arrive with the new packaging with parts knocked off or minor damage. For the broken parts Bachmann has been great with the replacement parts, once notified.
I note that the competition still uses foam in their packaging.
Pacific Northern

hawaiiho

]/quote]The new packaging Bachmann chose is no way as resilient to damage as the old packaging with the foam inserts.

I have had a number of Bachmann engines arrive with the new packaging with parts knocked off or minor damage. For the broken parts Bachmann has been great with the replacement parts, once notified.
I note that the competition still uses foam in their packaging.

[/quote]

I agree completely. I've had one locomotive arrive damaged. It had to be returned and four cars that I was able to fix my self. Two had trucks knocked off(an easy fix) and two had damaged couplers(fortunately I keep spares). It's getting old though.

Added comment

I have had problems with other manufacturers cars as most all use very similar packaging.  But all others locomotives arrived packed in foam and  un-damaged. Nor did any of the foam packed Bachmann locomotives.

MOAVBILLY

I too have encountered a running problem. Loco starts to move at speed step one but does the "herky jerky". Seems to be binding somewhere but unable to find it. Problem continues through all speed ranges but is less noticeable the faster it goes. Any ideas?

jdmike

I just got my 3 truck Climax w/sound as well.  A bit herky/jerky and stiff out of the box, but after flipping her over and adding a drop of Labelle light weight oil on every bearing point in cross boxes for the truck line shafts, axles ends and valve motion, then a drop of heavier oil on the bevel gears themselves, the engines running smoothed out and the piston motion very closely matched the sound most of the time.  There are lots of movement that little motor has to deal with, so some good break in time will do wonders I think.  The oiling of the line shaft bearings did the most improvement to the way my ran.  It was late last night, so today after I view the DVD and figure out which CV to turn down the sound, I will put a good hours run time in each direction pulling 1 Kaydee disconnect log car and caboose. Only time and operation will tell if the drive is gonna hold up.  Not having owned one of the 2 truck models that split gears, I cannot say for sure that the new 3 truck has the redesigned gears, but we would assume it would.  Do as Bachmann says and return that dead one for one that runs.  Something is definatly amiss in the gear box.   These little wonders are more prototypicaly correct than any of the high doller PFM brass ones.   These little Climaxes are driven exactly like the 1:1 scale ones other than using real steam!  These engines in real life are maintance hogs!  Engineers and firemen would be under the engine greasing those bevel gears and line shaft bearings each day, thats whats in those old metal buckets many times that you see in old logging photographs.  Cheers   Mike