how can I improve dcc switcher performance

Started by cypress station, November 23, 2010, 08:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypress station

OK being new to dcc I need some help here. I bought a new Bachmann switcher which when used on my track stutters and stalls, slow to start as compared with my other dcc locos. What can I do to change the performance of my switcher; cv-s and such or did I get a bad one off the line?

Thanks for the input

simkon

Try installing a decoder with BEMF, which standard Bachmann decoders do not have, then you can adjust a few CVs to your liking.

jward

as for this loco being slower than the others, that's what a switcher is supposed to be. the real ones were designed for use in yards where speed limits were low. with few exceptions, mostly units built after the mid 1960s, the real ones were restricted to about 45 mph even when on the mainline being towed dead by other diesels.

if you are having stalling and stuttering problems it sounds like you are having electrical contact problems. make sure your track is clean, and that any contacts that pick up off the wheels are in fact making contact.

one other thing: is this a short wheelbase loco, like the plymouth? if so, you may need to power the frogs on your switches. short locos don't like dead frogs.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

cypress station

***additional information***

I have another dcc switcher that I bought used at a train show ($25.00) non Bachmann that came with a digitrax decoder installed and it runs great. It will creep and never stutter or stall as compared with my new Bachman SP switcher which needs a shove to get started most of the time. I am using the newest Digitrax Zephr (sp?) power controller to run my 4x8 ho layout.

richg

Quote from: cypress station on November 23, 2010, 08:03:37 PM
OK being new to dcc I need some help here. I bought a new Bachmann switcher which when used on my track stutters and stalls, slow to start as compared with my other dcc locos. What can I do to change the performance of my switcher; cv-s and such or did I get a bad one off the line?

Thanks for the input

Switcher is a generic term. Which model locomotive?
I have short wheel base switchers, 44 ton and 70 ton that run very well at bout 1 mph, starting speed..
The solution is a good decoder with BEMF.

Rich

cypress station

Its the Bachmann DCC-Equipped GE 70 Ton Diesel Locomotive
Southern Pacificâ„¢ #5101

richg

Quote from: cypress station on November 23, 2010, 09:09:46 PM
Its the Bachmann DCC-Equipped GE 70 Ton Diesel Locomotive
Southern Pacificâ„¢ #5101

I have this loco with a LokSound decoder and speaker. The decoder has excellent running characteristics, BEMF. Not an easy install. Also, about $130.00 for decoder with speaker.

Make sure you have cleaned the wheels and pickups with a Q tip and alcohol.

Have you tried to switch the decoder to DC option only and run on DC with the old style DC power pack? I do not know if the 70 ton DCC onboard has this option as I bought the DCC ready loco and did my own install.

You said another loco runs just fine on the same track so that would tell me the track is clean.
What manufacturer/brand and what decoder in the good running loco?

Rich

cypress station

The Bachmann switcher in question was brand new when I purchased it and has not performed as well as two Bachmann locos that I bought used off Ebay both with Bachmann factory decoders or my used switcher (possibly an Atlas) with a Digitrax decoder that runs fantastic from a sloooooow crawl to its top speed with never a stutter or pause like I have with my brand new, out of the box, purchased from a local hobby shop Bachmann GE 70 ton gray in color switcher that usually needs a push to get started in either forward or reverse. If I slow it down to a crawl it will run, then stop and not run again unless I give it a push.

If my track was dirty, poor electrical pick up etc; wouldnt my other locos see the same problem and also behave in the same way?

I am beginning to think I might need to send it to the service dept unless there are some cv-s that can be tweeked. Any thoughts?

Joe323

First try cleaning and lubing the switcher.  I have the Bachmann 70 tonner as well and it runs fine with the factory decorder.

RAM

You say that you just bought a new Bachmann switcher .  Have you taken the time to break it in.  It should run better after a few hours of running.

bobwrgt

Check the back of each wheel to see if they are covered in grease. If they are remove most of it that you can. Then look to see if each of the electrical wiper on the back of each wheel is touching. If not you may have to remove the bottom cover on each truck to bend the wipers out so they hit the back of the wheels all the time.
It wouldn't be the first time all wipers were not hitting the wheels.

Bob

cypress station

All good advice. Thanks. I have begun the process of breaking it in. Seems like it is starting to run better after running, slight lubrication, running and cleaning the wheels; over and over. Breaking it in seems to be the answer.

Thanks