Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lost communication with decoder

Started by rodmason67, July 01, 2011, 02:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodmason67

While attempting to syncronize a bachmann decoder (item 44915) with
another mfr's sound system, I lost the address of the decoder ( I had
already programmed it to my loco's road number from the factory "3").
The headlight still works and responds to my MRC controller headlight switch.
Motor is good (still works on DC).

Is there a CV to recover the factory settings?  Is there some other way to get
it to respond?

BlueFox

Yes there is.  I've "lost control" of my own Bachmann decoders from time to time and to get them back I programmed CV8 (normally has 101 in it) to 8 then exited out to normal control then went right back in and reprogrammed the decoder back to my loco's # (the long address should again be 0000 and CV8 should reply back as 101.)

Frank

rodmason67

Halleluja:  Frank, you're a genius.  It worked on first try.  Loco fully back on its
hallowed address (B8O 6250).  I had had similar problem on two other mfr's
decoders some time back. Solution on one mfr was CV 125 to 1; on the other it
was CV 8 to 8.  I had tried the former this time but had forgotten about the
latter (I am 67 years old after all).Why can't this be standardized (rhetorical question)?

Many, many thanks again.  This is my first day  on this board and I've got a
new best friend already. Rod

BlueFox

You are very welcome Rod.  I, too, am 67 and had been away from MRR for over 40 yrs. (family duties and raising 3 kids!)  I was finally able to get back into MRR now the kids are grown and moved out of state.  When I got my DCC system I messed up one of the Bachmann decoders (I have 11 Bachmann diesles) and after asking around at the local MRR club I found out about CV8 being set to 8 to reset the decoder (Bachmann) back to factory defaults.  Saved my bacon, for sure!  I wonder why Backmann doesn't have that in the instructions included with a new 'DCC On Board' loco or list it in their CV listing you can get here off this web site?

Another tip:  If you have a consist of 2 or more locos and are going to take the locos somewhere else to run clear out (kill) the consist on your own DCC system to reset each loco to non-consist.  When you get to where you are going to run them again as a consist you won't have any trouble setting up the consist again.  Do the same thing again before returning home.  I found this out the hard way once.  Happy MRR

Frank
bluefoxx@comcast.net