News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Richmond 4-4-0

Started by Royce Wilson, December 03, 2010, 07:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Wilson

Recently I saw a HO scale Bachmann Richmond 4-4-0 with fluted domes for sale on ebay and it was advertized as new..is this a new item. it really did look nice!

Royce

CNE Runner

Well, Royce, I am not aware of any Richmond 4-4-0 having 'fluted' domes. I should add that Bachmann is now offering a Baldwin 4-4-0 that may have fluted domes (this website lists the Baldwin - but without pictures). Having a 4-4-0 with backdated (fluted) domes would be of great interest to anyone modeling the mid/late 19th century.

Interesting,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Royce Wilson

I apologize if I described the HO 4-4-0 as a Richmond instead of a Baldwin. the model looks to be the same 4-4-0 that came out a few years back and instead of having the round domes it had fluted and it looked very good!

Royce

TwinZephyr

Based on the very limited photos available, Bachmann's Baldwin 4-4-0 is nearly the same as their Richmond 4-4-0 with domes, cab and tender borrowed from the low driver 4-6-0.

The Great Northern model has 1870's style domes which some describe as fluted although that is probably not the technically correct term for those domes.  The sand dome is too tall causing it's proportions to look odd.

Too bad Bachmann does not seem to be interested in providing photos of their own products until after those products are on the store shelves.

richg

The 4-4-0 with fluted domes is the circa 1870 4-4-0 that is a tender drive, The drive shaft is never shown from all the photos I have seen.

The Spectrum Richmond 4-4-0 is circa 1913 locomotive.

Go to the HO Seeker site and look at the diagrams. Store the site in Favorites.

http://www.hoseeker.net/bachmann.html

Bachmann has never been good with documentation of their products.

Rich

Johnson Bar Jeff

In the nineteenth century, I guess from about the 1850s into the 1870s, a fluted sand dome cover was a characteristic of a Rogers locomotive--one way you can tell if the engine in an old photograph is a Rogers.

All builders had their own characteristic style. In the 1850s and 1860s a smooth steam dome was used by the Schenectady Locomotive Works (check out a photo of the reproduction "Jupiter" at Promontory). The only models of the "Jupiter" that I've ever seen that had the correct steam dome were brass. Bachmann's "Jupiter" has Baldwin-style domes, both steam and sand.

ebtnut

Just for accuracy's sake, the Richmond 4-4-0 is modeled after Ma & Pa's 4,5, and 6, built in 1901.  Nos. 4 and 5 remained pretty much as-built through their lives, with slide valves and wood cabs.  No. 6 was extensively rebuilt with piston valves and a steel cab, which is also offered in the series.  No. 6 was in service until 1951.