News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track on inclines

Started by Law Dawg 86, December 06, 2010, 07:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Law Dawg 86

I am planning a new layout that will have inclines. I want to use the pre-made risers and inclines made by Woodland Scenics. Can you use EZ Track on such material, and if so how do you adhere it?

jonathan

I did a 3% incline just as you describe in your question.

To adhere the Styrofoam riser to the plywood, I simply used some yellow glue and track nails to tack the riser in place.  I have a curve on my rise, hence the need for the track nails to help hold the form.  Additionally, I put quite a bit of weight (books and tools) on the risers while the glue dried.  Oh, and I stuck some scrap wood between the ribs of the risers, on the curve.  That also helped hold its shape.  Hope I described that well enough.

Ez track is fairly stable as it is.  When I laid the track, I used white glue and masking tape on the edge of the roadbed.  It doesn't sound too stable at first.  However, I put down a couple layers of plaster cloth from the edge of the roadbed, over the risers, and onto the plywood for the scenery base.  By the time all of this dries, I found the whole thing to be pretty stable.  You can't stand on it, but the trains seem pretty solid when riding over it.  Sorry, I didn't take any pics while under construction (I'm usually pretty good about that).

My way is probably not the best, but it worked well on my layout.

Regards,

Jonathan

mabloodhound

I like using an adhesive caulk for attaching track and sub structures.   Tubes such as Phenoseal or DAP that say 'adhesive' at the big box stores are what you want (get the clear or transparent stuff).   The caulk doesn't dry to a rock hard glob and it can also be taken apart later on without damage.   It sticks to just about anything and holds tight.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security