Sierra No. 3 - the “Movie Star Locomotive”

Started by DMC-4-6-0, December 12, 2010, 10:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMC-4-6-0

Im wondering now that the Sierra No. 3 - the "Movie Star Locomotive" is up and running again is there any plans to make a G scale model of it.
Sierra No. 3 was built in 1891 by Rogers Locomotive Works in Paterson, New Jersey.

http://www.railtown1897.org/railtown/doc.asp?id=550 Info on her resto.

I do not "GET LOST IN TIME" -
I "INVESTIGATE ALTERNATIVE DESTINATIONS."

"Sometimes you have to role a hard six"

JerryB

Quote from: DMC-4-6-0 on December 12, 2010, 10:10:09 PM
Im wondering now that the Sierra No. 3 - the "Movie Star Locomotive" is up and running again is there any plans to make a G scale model of it.

Not very likely: Sierra #3 is a standard gauge locomotive. Reducing it to Fn3 (1:20 scale / 3' gauge) would make the resulting model an orphan, clearly not representing the #3 as she was built.

Same with making the model in 1:22.5 (the scale of Bachmann's Big Hauler line): A 1:22.5 scale model of #3 running on 45mm track would represent a prototype gauge of 1 meter or ~39.37", another orphan, and clearly not a model of the Sierra #3.

(Edited 12/15/10: Thanks to Joe Satnik for finding my 1:22.5 scale / prototype gauge error!)

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

DMC-4-6-0

Well I said to Heck with it and Im building the Engine

Im using a 4-6-0 and a 2-4-0 to make the #3

There will be a few Machined parts That im going to have to make, but that par for the course.
Ive already run into some problems and I know it will not be an exact model But I can be sure No one else Around will have one like mine LOL.

Im in it  for the fun and if its not exactly 100% correct Owell 
I do not "GET LOST IN TIME" -
I "INVESTIGATE ALTERNATIVE DESTINATIONS."

"Sometimes you have to role a hard six"

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: DMC-4-6-0 on December 15, 2010, 01:19:02 AM
Well I said to Heck with it and Im building the Engine

Im using a 4-6-0 and a 2-4-0 to make the #3

There will be a few Machined parts That im going to have to make, but that par for the course.
Ive already run into some problems and I know it will not be an exact model But I can be sure No one else Around will have one like mine LOL.

Im in it  for the fun and if its not exactly 100% correct Owell 

Good luck! The good ol' "Cannonball" will always be one of my favorite locomotives.  :)