News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Not your standard Christmas Tree Train

Started by napa15, October 18, 2010, 04:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

napa15

OK, I have a bit of an odd desire that I have wanted to do for several years and think I have finally got an idea on how to make it work. I'd love some input from you folks as to how to pull this off.

I have an artificial Christmas tree, around the 6 foot height I think. I have been wanting to add an N Scale train to the tree each year, not under the tree, but actually going around and up the tree to the top. Think of it as like a spiral going up from the lower branches all the way to the top, but out toward the outer edges of the branches. Picture it?

My question is... how can I make this a reality?

I assume the basics need to be a point to point reversing system. I'm sure I can make that happen fairly easy and think I know where to get the items to make that happen. I'm curious as to how to construct the ledge that the track needs to attach to AND how to attach that to the tree. My thought is to build the ledge out of thin balsa wood, which would have flex track attached to it. Then have wooden arms coming off the ledge wood to somehow attach to the tree center. That leaves a question of how to build it so it can easily be put up and taken down, and stored.

Anyway, it sounds like a fun and challenging project. Any thoughts? -- Also, do you guys think there are any setups like this out there and info on the internet? I did some google searches before posting here.. but had no luck.

ABC

There is one main problem, the grade (slope) will be too much for the loco to go up and going down it would go too fast and then there is the second problem, it is probably a fire hazard.

bobwrgt

Sounds like a good project. Should keep you busy for about a year or so. If you make enough loops around the tree the grade is no problem. More loops less grade on each. Have you seen one of the light only trees that store flat in a box. No branches. The lights are supported by a plastic spiral hanging on nylon fishing line. The nylon line runs top to bottom on the tree.
I would start with a 4ft x 4ft sheet of paper, draw out your spiral and see what you get. Balsa wood is not strong enough. I would look for a sheet of thin plastic so there would be no joints in the spiral to break.
Years ago someone did make a train set that hung on the tree and made one loop around. Came that way in the box.
I will check in next year to see your pictures and how it turned out.

Bob

napa15

Thanks for the responses and thoughts. I'm gonna make it happen.. some how some way. It may in fact take a year.. maybe not. I have nothing N scale at the moment so this will be a start from scratch project. :)

rdxpress

Hey,
     Your on the site of the the manufacturer of that ill-fated design. It was not a very
   practical idea, at least for a mass market product that would/was used by the   
   general non-modelrailroader public. You as a model railroader can make it (the idea)
   work with a little trial and error.
       I think the sets used an early version of the eztrack and was only a circle that
   would have set midlevel on the average (6'-8') Ctree. All this is from my fading
    memory but I believe I am close. Good Luck and show us some pics,
                                                     Gdub