News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HELP WITH PURCHASE

Started by JOEHILL7, December 11, 2010, 06:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOEHILL7

I AND MY GRANDSON WANT TO START MODEL RAILROADING, WE ARE LIMITED AS TO SPACE ABOUT 3"X10". WE THINK N SCALE WOULD WORK, BUT WILL THAT SMALL OF ENGINES STAY ON TRACK AND IS 3X10 LARGE ENOUGH TO MAKE TURNS? ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE.
THANKS JOE

jward

3 feet by 10 feet is more than enough for n scale. in fact, you can build quite an empire in this space.

my advice to anybody starting out in n scale is to avoid the 9 3/4 inch radius curves.  keep your curves as large as you can. my n last n scale layout was designed for 14" radius curves, which would fit comfortably on your table. i had great results with those curves, running everything up to the largest boxcars with no problems.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

simkon

N scale can't turn in only 3 inches. If you meant 3 feet then it would be fine. If your grandson is younger (less than 8 years old) HO scale would be a better choice, but you would need a minimum width of 4 feet for a conventional loop layout. N scale is harder to put on track, harder to build kits for, and not as interactive. HO and O scale often have working accessories that are manually operated.

Doneldon

Joe-

Ah, I know the feeling.  I solved the problem by building the layout in my grandson's home so there were fewer space disputes with the regional manager, i.e., his mom. 

The biggest concern is the age of your grandson.  I wouldn't do N for a child under seven or eight.  Even HO is pretty fragile but it's okay if you stick to diesels and/or Thomas the Tank Engine equipment.  One alternative, a good one, for preschoolers up to eight or so is Thomas equipment which runs by hand, battery or spring power.  Tomica makes some splendid stuff which my grandsons loved when little.  It has battery power and is free wheeling when not under power.  You can also use the wooden railroad Thomas (or other) trains but look for the knock-off brands because the "official" The Wooden Railway is hugely expensive.  These trains have convenient magnetic couplers and are durable so you won't always be called on to fix them.  You can mount this on a permanent layout (keep it low for the kids) or loose so they can set things up however they want.  I mounted sets for my two and they loved them but began tearing them apart at six years or so, and then putting them together however they wanted.  I'm guessing either way works.  The advantages of a permanent layout are not losing pieces, not having the train all over the house and being able to add scenery, roads and buildings.  The main advantage of a loose railroad is it's versatility, followed, perhaps, by its portability.

Don't plan on a child being very interested in operations before at least 10, and be sure to have an unpowered loco or two so he can push the trains around.

Whatever else you do, have fun.
                                                                                                                           -- D